Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

CVT problem - weird HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 01:30 PM
Thumper Simpson
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CVT problem - weird HELP!

I changed my tranny fluid and filter in my 06 non supercharged mini and everything was fine except for a slow drip nat the drain plug. After a few weeks, all of a sudden, when I take off, the tranny suddenly drops into high "gear" and won't get out. I drained the tranny, found it a quart low and refilled it. Problem remained. I did an ECU reset using ignition key and odometer button, and it worked perfectly until I cam to a stop, and then the problem started again. I repeated this process a few times always with the same results. I can't do an ECU reset every time I come to a stop. HELP! 06 convertibe non supercharged. 96,000 miles.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:14 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Moving you to the Stock Problems/Issues area.

You have the CVT transmission that with time will "metamorphosis" into a boat anchor/very heavy paper weight. Others will chime in but the unit may be on its last leg.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:28 PM
Thumper Simpson
2nd Gear
It is obviously an electronic control problem since resetting the ECU makes it perform properly. I don't expect it to last forever, but I DO expect to correct the control problem and use it. I'm pretty sure the Redline synthetic CVT fluid and new fillter will contribute at least a little bit to its longevity.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:13 PM
Cenla Mini
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Do you have one of the Bently manuals? There are a few things they have you do once you change the fluid before you take it out on the road. I've changed mine 4 times now and it's going strong with almost 150K on my CVT.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:27 PM
Black Forest
4th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
I would try scanning for codes with a good scanner then reset the transmission adaptations. Lots of info available on the cvt reset.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:21 PM
Thumper Simpson
2nd Gear
Took it to the Autohaus. They said it has internal problems but did not say what they were. It would not re-adapt using their BMW equipment. They did say that the red tint in the fluid shows that the previous owner (or car lot) had filled it with regular transmission fluid. That brings up a question: since it worked fine on regular transmission fluid, but slams into gear and immediately shifts to highest ratio with CVT fluid, maybe if I refill it with regular ATF and see if it starts working right again. I have a lot of leftover Amsoil ATF that's probably ten years or older. What have I got lose? It's an unsellable brick right now!

Old 09-19-2017, 01:52 PM
jfrantz
2nd Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I would call European Transmissions in Georgia to see if they have any suggestions. They rebuild the "fine" CVT transmissions and perhaps they have seen your issue.

-Jeff