Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

R53 Transmission to Oil Pan Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 09:03 PM
portedbuckle
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R53 Transmission to Oil Pan Bolts

Hi everyone,

Long time no see, and I hope everyone's MINI is still going strong. I went to swap my oil pan gasket today, and everything went without a hitch until I started reassembling. I was able to torque all the smaller bolts that go from the ground up into the block, but I only wasn't able to torque the two bolts that go from transmission side to the oil pan. I set the torque wrench to spec, and they just keep turning with about equal resistance. I am not willing to keep trying to get the torque wrench to click for fear of stripping out those holes in the oil pan. Granted, they may already be stripped out. They are in there tight, I know there are plenty other bolts holding the assembly together.

So... The question is, do I keep trying to get them up to spec and strip them out? Afterwards, I'd either have to repair with a thread insert. Do I go with what I have right now and plan to do the work next time I have to do the clutch? Do I buy a new oil pan and R&R?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Adam

Old 09-04-2017, 03:47 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Torquing bolts in aluminum is sometimes odd. I did a waterpump/timing chain for my brother on his Dodge Intrepid 2.7 engine. Had issues with some of the cam tower bolts. Similar, a couple would not torque, one broke. The bolts were special length and had to buy a 10 pack from Dodge but used 3 of them for putting the car back together.

I don't know if the oil in the receiving hole has something to do with it. Will see if some others chime in.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:49 AM
portedbuckle
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The bolts broke, not the aluminum threads??

Also, I'm kind of leaning towards inserts to strengthen the threads. I fly for a living, so I am not home the next few days. Does anyone know the thread pitch of the bolts? Part number:

They are simply listed as M12x65. Not helpful BMW... haha. Thanks everyone.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:18 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Yes I had one bolt break. Its odd as you tighten, cannot get a torque but if you go back the next day the torque may be there.

I am thinking that a M12x65 at the autostore will be the correct thread. Most auto fasteners have similar thread pitches.