Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

SOLUTION, Code 1627, No powersteering, No charging

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 02:03 PM
AllpassDK
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SOLUTION, Code 1627, No powersteering, No charging

Hi guys,

First post here, bit thought i'd share my R53 JCW story, as I had to dig quite deep for solutions..!
i had following symptoms:
- No power steering
- no charging on battery ( but also no battery light illuminated in dashboard)

There are several things, that need to be checked and fixed:
- check fuse no. 39, located in fuse panel inside cabin, near left foot of driver (LHD). This fuse controls both battery charging and EHSP/Powersteering.
- if only power steering is affected; meaning that you can measure 14V+ on battery terminals while engine running, and still no PS - then check 100A fuse under engine bay fuse panel; flip fuse panel bottom up, and remove cover to get to the 100A fuse.
NOW; this is what fixed my issue;
- there are 2 heat shield above & under the exhaust manifold. Remove the upper shield, and loosen the lower. The control wires for the EHSP run from the left (gearbox side) side of the engine, and under this shield. BUT - check if the shield has rubbed through the heat sleeve and wire insulation, causing a short circuit! I continually blew fuses, but without any fixed frequency; sometimes 5 minutes after changing the fuse, some times days after. After I rerouted the wire, and isolated the wires (heat shield had rubbed through), I have not have the issue.

Hope someone else will benefit from this!

Last edited by Whine not Walnuts; 09-08-2017 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Fixed some spelling
Old 09-08-2017, 02:16 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Welcome to NAM and thanks for this information.

What fuse was blowing, the 100 amp or the normal type "fuse" in the footwell??

Old 09-08-2017, 02:34 PM
AllpassDK
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi, yeah missing a bit of essential info I guess!
it was the 5A fuse that kept blowing, due to control wires short-circuiting on the lower exhaust heat-shield.
the 100A fuse never blew, as the main electric feed +\- to the EHSP was not compromised.

the 5A fuse is located AFTER, the point where the engine control module receives input on alternator charging; so if alternator is working, but fuse no. 39 is blown, the battery light won't come on, while main symptom will be EHSP not working, and sub-sequent drained battery - this will lead one to fault find on these systems at first; took me a full weekend before realizing..!

The following users liked this post:
Whine not Walnuts (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 04:14 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
All very good information. THANKS