Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Tachometer isn't working, lights also won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 12:41 AM
ellysab
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tachometer isn't working, lights also won't turn off

So I made a post earlier about how my car was overheating, I put coolant in and it doesn't seem to be overheating anymore BUT

Now my tachometer doesn't work, my dash lights barely turn on, my ABS, battery, trunk/hood latch, airbag and traction control lights are on but no check engine..

Whats going on here? !

Edit: Also its worth mentioning I've had one of those $30 ECU remapping things plugged into my OBD port for maybe the last month or 2..
Idk if its related but I've been having issue after issue since I put it in, nothing major just weird things here and there, obviously after tonight I'm going to take it out but now that its an electrical problem I'm starting to think that's what's messing with my car...

Another edit: Just tried to start it, it won't start, just clicking.

Let me know what y'all think,
thank you!!

UPDATE: It was just a friggin' serpentine belt -___-
Thanks for your help everyone!!

Last edited by ellysab; 09-14-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:20 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Moving this also to the Stock Problems/Issues area.

You may have several issues. In your previous post I noted a possible warped head. This could lead to coolant loss and hence overheating. I also noted the water pump.
With no start, you may have issues with belt that drives the alternator and supercharger. The supercharger spins the water pump and no spin, no water flow and overheat. The alternator charges the battery. This may be your crank pulley/harmonic damper. How good are you with tools? If not, suggest you seek a repair shop.

Should also have you battery checked, how old it is? A bad battery will make the electronics go crazy.

The following users liked this post:
ellysab (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 05:20 AM
jc130chief
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check your BATTERY!

Old 09-14-2017, 05:29 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 265 Likes on 211 Posts
sunroof car?

Old 09-14-2017, 05:38 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by jc130chief
Check your BATTERY!
+1

car year, mileage and model?

Old 09-14-2017, 05:53 AM
ellysab
Neutral
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
+1

car year, mileage and model?

2006 Cooper S

About 150k on the body and 10k on a completely rebuilt long block

Old 09-14-2017, 05:55 AM
ellysab
Neutral
Originally Posted by mega72
sunroof car?

No sunroof and no leaks. It hasn't been raining either.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:08 AM
ellysab
Neutral
Originally Posted by r53coop

You may have several issues. In your previous post I noted a possible warped head. This could lead to coolant loss and hence overheating. I also noted the water pump.
With no start, you may have issues with belt that drives the alternator and supercharger. The supercharger spins the water pump and no spin, no water flow and overheat. The alternator charges the battery. This may be your crank pulley/harmonic damper. How good are you with tools? If not, suggest you seek a repair shop.

Should also have you battery checked, how old it is? A bad battery will make the electronics go crazy.
I forgot to mention I have an near brand new motor in the car with only about 10k miles on it, could the head become warped that quickly? Or is it warped from overheating?
My car has never overheated before and when it started overheating the car was shut off within 5 minutes because I wasn't far from home, so it wasn't hot too long.
I didn't think about the water pump but I know they start to go bad at about 150k which is what I'm at now (minus the long block) so that would make sense.

I made sure my battery terminals were okay and that nothing was loose etc. but I don't have a way to check to see if its dead at the moment. I did some research before I posted and the battery or a fuse is what most people said, but thank you I'll start from there!!

Old 09-14-2017, 11:02 AM
ellysab
Neutral
Originally Posted by r53coop

It was the belt, it had come off. It doesn't seem to be damaged in any way, should I get a new one? Or will the current one stay on okay?

Old 09-14-2017, 11:14 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 265 Likes on 211 Posts
get a new one, check for tensioner/flywheel pulley damage usually it comes in a trio of fun, the tensioner will press against the flywheel and wreck both

Old 09-14-2017, 11:17 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 497 Likes on 413 Posts
With the belt being low cost, but able to cause a lot of damage and headache, I would buy a new belt.

If your old belt looks ok, something must be wrong to have made it come off. Check all of your pulleys and belt tensioner and replace the bad part before installing a new belt.

How many miles are on your tensioner and crank pulley, and does your supercharger have a reduced pulley on it?