Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Replaced door lock, now door wont open?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 05:30 PM
Happeee
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced door lock, now door wont open?

The door was not opening from the inside so I took out the lock mechanism to inspect it. It seemed fine so I reinstalled and stretched the inside cable, which seemed to fix the problem. The door now opened from both the inside and outside handle.

That is until I went for a drive. When I tried to get out, neither handle would open the door. I tried the dash mounted lock/unlock swith. I also tried disconnecting the battery. Neither fixed the problem.

When I lock/unlock the car, it sounds like that part is working, but there is no resistance in the door handle and the door wont open now.

Any ideas?

Old 09-14-2017, 06:41 PM
MVPeters
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 122 Posts
If you lock the door with the remote key fob it disables the door locks altogether.
If you are still inside you cannot get out.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:27 AM
Happeee
1st Gear
That is not it. When I use the remote, it sounds like the door is unlocking (mechanially), but there is no tension or resistance when I squeeze the door handle. What would cause that to feel disconnected? Assuming the actuator cable is still connected to the lock mechanism.

I will be trying to visually inspect it later today.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:17 AM
Happeee
1st Gear
More info: The car is acting very strange.

I reached into the door and manually pulled down the door lock lever and the door popped right open. From there, the door worked. I could close it and open it with either door handle.

But then...

I tried to lock the doors with the console switch and nothing happened. I press up on the console swith and it tries to unlock the already unlocked doors..

Then I get out and close the door. I use the remote to lock the door. It locks. I use the remote to unlock the door and it sounds like it unlocks but now the door handle is not working again. Door is stuck shut again.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:52 AM
MVPeters
5th Gear
Now you know the electrical & mechanical functions of both doors do at least function, although not correctly.
I think I'd start checking & cleaning electrical plugs & sockets.

If you haven't seen it, there's a long 'sticky' thread on door locks - might be some clues there.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:59 AM
Happeee
1st Gear
I think I found the problem. I had remounted the cable to the interior handle and it was keeping constant tension on the lock.

There is a video that shows a cheap fix for a stretched cable. You remount it past its normal attachment location. In my case, it pilled it too far.

I will order a new cable.

Right now I have the door panel off ans the cable disconnected at the interior handle. I can operate the door by pulling on the cable with my fingers.

Old 09-15-2017, 11:22 AM
MVPeters
5th Gear
That's exactly how the classic Mini's worked!
I think you should leave it that way!