Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Passenger door window

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 12:07 PM
swiftycoop
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passenger door window

I got back home yesterday from a 4 month RV trip and tried to start my MCS but the battery was absolutely dead, not even dim interior lights. So, I put my charger on for couple hours and then she started right up. Everything seems normal except my passenger door window won't go down....driver side is fine and the passenger window was working fine when I left. I can hear the window regulator "click" when I operate the switch.....does something have to be reset for the window to work after a dead battery or did the regulator likely just fail? Thanks for any info!

Old 09-16-2017, 01:43 PM
MVPeters
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 122 Posts
The likelihood is that the window motor is dying.
A very common problem.
There are many threads - search for "Fonzy" for a quick fix.
For some it works for ever, for others you end up overhauling or replacing the motor.
Plenty of YT videos too.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:10 PM
Jimmyjamesphan
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by swiftycoop
I got back home yesterday from a 4 month RV trip and tried to start my MCS but the battery was absolutely dead, not even dim interior lights. So, I put my charger on for couple hours and then she started right up. Everything seems normal except my passenger door window won't go down....driver side is fine and the passenger window was working fine when I left. I can hear the window regulator "click" when I operate the switch.....does something have to be reset for the window to work after a dead battery or did the regulator likely just fail? Thanks for any info!
This happens to so many minis. Turn on ur car sit in the seat where the window is.
Hold the button down for the window
And with the other hand punch the door where the motor sit.
Works every time. I fix 5 minis doing that. Hahaha

Old 09-18-2017, 03:05 PM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts
the rubber window seal may have "glued" itself to the glass. Mine does this when it is too cold or too hot or just plain moderate temperatures. I give the glass a very light Fonzy and all is good in the up and down world of the windows. Seems to unstick the weather seal or bumps the motor so that it works. Either way, seems to work... for now.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:52 PM
swiftycoop
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I smacked the door as suggested and cool as a moose! Window now works!
Thanks!

Old 09-19-2017, 06:20 PM
Subw00er
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
I used to have a royal enfield bike that required a fonzy. The starter motor would get stuck just between two magnets/coils and there would not be enough power available to move it. Smacking it with a screwdriver handle was enough to vibrate it to the next closest magnet and it would work fine. Funny stuff, but it builds character, right?