Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Turbo heat shield necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 07:34 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Turbo heat shield necessary?

Anyone running daily without their turbo heat shield? Ever since I removed mine for the DP install it has started to rattle at low rpms. If there is no real downside to removing it, I think I remove totally to get rid of this noise. Let me know your experiences. I have an R60.

Thanks,

Old 09-18-2017, 08:06 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,851 Likes on 1,475 Posts
The heat shields are there to protect the components around them from excessive heat. No way would I run mine without them. Also, the shields all bolt together, so if you remove one, you're bound to get some rattling somewhere. If I were you, I'd get that removed shield back on as soon as possible.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:21 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
The heat shields are there to protect the components around them from excessive heat. No way would I run mine without them. Also, the shields all bolt together, so if you remove one, you're bound to get some rattling somewhere. If I were you, I'd get that removed shield back on as soon as possible.
It is currently on, it just rattles. I'll have to investigate how I can fix that. Perhaps I bent it when removing and now it makes contact somewhere.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:17 PM
godskid
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure what model you are referring to, but my 2009 S hardtop was burning up hood stripes (down the middle; I didn't install them initially so didn't choose that location) until the dealer installed the heat shield.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:39 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Do NOT drive it without the top heat shield in place. You will end up melting the valve cover. We've seen this happen more than once.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

The following users liked this post:
Bryan Grzonka (10-09-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 07:39 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Do NOT drive it without the top heat shield in place. You will end up melting the valve cover. We've seen this happen more than once.

I tried bending last night and seems to have gotten better as of this morning but I can still hear it with the windows down. Might just cave and get a blanket. Almost time for a new turbo anyway (102k on this one) and I don't know if the new 47mm will fit under the stock shield anyway.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:38 PM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by cstrumol
I tried bending last night and seems to have gotten better as of this morning but I can still hear it with the windows down. Might just cave and get a blanket. Almost time for a new turbo anyway (102k on this one) and I don't know if the new 47mm will fit under the stock shield anyway.
Pretty sure the larger turbo will fit under the stock shield. I have WMW's blanket under my stock shield in my JCW....works well.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:53 PM
Minicoopersmodel
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use thread lock glue on the screw.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:56 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Minicoopersmodel
Use thread lock glue on the screw.
Will give this a try! I'm actually starting to think it is the wastegate thats jingling around. New turbo going on this weekend so we will see!