Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

What’s that sound? Woodpecker?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 02:20 PM
Iamtheguy
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What’s that sound? Woodpecker?

hey guys,

was hoping I could get some help identifying what this sound is. Sounds like it’s coming from chain side. New tensioner and rails though. Sounds kind of like a wood pecker. Gets faster with rpm and can barely be heard under higher rpms, pitch gets higher with rpms as well.

Video of the sound:

thanks

Old 09-19-2017, 05:04 AM
CSP
5th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Is your belt tensioner bouncing by chance?

Old 09-19-2017, 10:01 AM
Iamtheguy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by CSP
no it is not... but thanks for the suggestion. Belt is running smoothe

Old 09-19-2017, 11:06 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
I know you stated that you thought it was coming from the chain side, but to my ear, it sounds just like a clutch throw-out bearing rattling around...

Old 09-19-2017, 05:51 PM
Bigb996
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if you crawled under it while it is cranked but mine was making a similar noise and it ended up being the fan to the power steering system after I investigated. I found I had the open recall and took it to the dealer for a free replacement.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:46 PM
Iamtheguy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Bigb996
Not sure if you crawled under it while it is cranked but mine was making a similar noise and it ended up being the fan to the power steering system after I investigated. I found I had the open recall and took it to the dealer for a free replacement.
Thanks, I’ll check it out when I get a chance. But does the fan increase speed with RPMs? That’s what is going on and leads me to believe it’s engine related.

To the previous reply, clutch motion has no affect on the sound.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:11 AM
Bigb996
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't attest to whether the fan increases in speed with rpm but I know my issue I had was not something that I saw mentioned much when I was researching about my noise. If you throw it up on stands though and can determine the area in which it's making the noise that may help.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:52 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Iamtheguy
To the previous reply, clutch motion has no affect on the sound.
So to clarify, when the "woodpecker" noise is present, does it go away (or not) when you slowly depress the clutch pedal (then slowly release) at engine idle, not in gear?

The spinning flywheel is about 1-inch away from the throw-out bearing, and if it's chattering due to being worn or shot (yes, you can hear T/O bearing chatter at idle), there's the potential to chatter even more when the engine RPMs increase, maybe causing the higher-pitched sound you're referring to.

You did state that the noise "Gets faster with rpm and can barely be heard under higher rpms, pitch gets higher with rpms as well."

Just trying to rule out the T/O bearing as the source of your noise.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:10 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by CSP
I concur it sound awfully like a belt tensioner bouncing. I recommend checking everything that the belt touches, including the main crank damper pulley. The sound have the signature of give and take tension change of the belt.

For me I would use my trusty piece of 4-foot PVC hose as stethoscope to home in on the source of the sound. It works for me 99% of the time.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:09 PM
RockAZ
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
check to see if the rubber is still on the water pump pulley or if it is bare metal

Old 09-20-2017, 05:33 PM
CSP
5th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
I concur it sound awfully like a belt tensioner bouncing. I recommend checking everything that the belt touches, including the main crank damper pulley. The sound have the signature of give and take tension change of the belt.

For me I would use my trusty piece of 4-foot PVC hose as stethoscope to home in on the source of the sound. It works for me 99% of the time.
Mine comes through strongly through my evap valve thing - the small black cylinder between ground strap and engine that has about 5 different connections going to it.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:22 AM
Iamtheguy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by pnwR53S

Great with the PVC pipe! Sounds like I’ve got some things to check. I’m away for two weeks and when I get a chance I’ll check it out. Appreciate it.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:06 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
pvc hose

Originally Posted by Iamtheguy
Great with the PVC pipe! Sounds like I’ve got some things to check. I’m away for two weeks and when I get a chance I’ll check it out. Appreciate it.
Just want to be sure you don't mean to say a rigid pipe which will be dangerous.

use a soft hose of about this diameter and keep it clear from anything that moves

I bought one of those Harbor freight stethoscope and it simply does not work. I felt stupid of wasting a few quid as I have always been using the hose method with success.