Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

2011 MCS burps, loses power.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017 | 12:10 AM
renchjeep
|
6th Gear
2011 MCS burps, loses power.

2011 MCS hatch, 80k miles on the clock. He seems to lose power at times, independent of ambient temp, but always at 2500-3500k and when at 80-100% throttle. Very hard to describe, as it's not a misfire, more like a total drop-out of power, and only for a split second. Not dependent on ambient temp. I have not seen my ScanGuage do anything odd, but updating may be slow. No CEL, no codes that I can read with my scanner that worked and gave codes for low fuel pressure and random misfires when my HPFP was going south. I am about 1,000 miles from my aftermarket warranty expiring, so any help would be appreciated. I see no smoke from the exhaust when this happens, and I have always kept up on my maintenance, nothing seems out of the normal. Anyone have anything for me? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-22-2017 | 03:15 AM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
Suprerknock

Left unchecked, this was how my condition of superknock developed. For me, these random delays or hesitations turned into timing changes and stumbles with boost. I can’t point to the exact fix, but tried a few different things that together yielded 100% fix.
walnut blast
plugs and coils
diverter valve
cleaned PVC
changed chain tensioner to latest version

Noted that I never had a CEL or anything on the scanner except stored superknock code that dealer always dismissed as “ they all have that”.
The drivability difference is night/day. Smooth and stable power all the way to redline. No hesitation, no starting issue either hot or cold and the idle is rock solid.
None of the repairs cost that much, so I’d say go for it!!!

Old 09-23-2017 | 08:59 AM
renchjeep
|
6th Gear
Isn't superknock audible? There is no noise associated with these cutouts. And it does not feel like a misfire. I am familiar with the feel of misfiring, as I had 1 and then 2 coils failing intermittently a while back.

Old 09-23-2017 | 09:25 AM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
I never had a cel . Power was interrupted and the car would stumble under WOT. Often it was silent and eventually developed into a stutter with clicking noise.

Old 09-25-2017 | 04:53 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
how many miles on your plugs? I know that the N18 is much better on building carbon, but have you checked?

On my 08, it would occasionally stumble, but there was a puff of smoke associated. It seems like it would run better after stumble, though.

Sorry I don't have a real answer, just giving you other things to think about.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 09-25-2017 | 09:11 PM
renchjeep
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mbwicz
how many miles on your plugs? I know that the N18 is much better on building carbon, but have you checked?

On my 08, it would occasionally stumble, but there was a puff of smoke associated. It seems like it would run better after stumble, though.

Sorry I don't have a real answer, just giving you other things to think about.

Have fun,
Mike
Mike,
About 5k on my NGK 1422 plugs, gapped at .024". And I have not pulled the intake to inspect the valves for any carbon buildup. Gotta do that soon. Should I replace the intake gaskets or seals then, or can they be re-used? 80k on the engine.

Thanks,
Chris