Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Stage 2 JCW power?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017 | 11:51 AM
cstrumol
|
3rd Gear
Stage 2 JCW power?

Just wondering, what kind of power are you JCW sized turbo guys putting down with a Stage 2? Can be an S with upgraded turbo to JCW sized. I've been teetering between the 40mm and 42mm JMTC turbos for a bit now and I'm now leaning towards the JCW. This is my daily so I'm trying to keep some reliability. Idea of JCW + meth intrigues me more than going 42mm. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-22-2017 | 12:30 PM
NeonLed
3rd Gear
Here's a dyno video of someone on here with a jcw turbo and meth. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ded-badly.html

Old 09-25-2017 | 04:43 PM
cornjuice
Banned
S = higher CR vs JCW

If you are tuning an S.. you have slightly higher compression ratio vs a stock JCW. That said.. I would hesitate to go with a 42mm compressor.. unless you plan on a full pro-tune [possible new injectors]. You will be knock limited on the JCW turbo already; meth will definitely remedy this for you and allow for increased timing. Of course..adding meth will require a tune as well to pull more power from the lower IAT.

another consideration.. you don't have forged internals..making more power from increasing timing is likely safer than pushing more boost pressure. *though I'm not a tuner..im just the driver.

Old 09-25-2017 | 05:45 PM
cstrumol
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cornjuice
If you are tuning an S.. you have slightly higher compression ratio vs a stock JCW. That said.. I would hesitate to go with a 42mm compressor.. unless you plan on a full pro-tune [possible new injectors]. You will be knock limited on the JCW turbo already; meth will definitely remedy this for you and allow for increased timing. Of course..adding meth will require a tune as well to pull more power from the lower IAT.

another consideration.. you don't have forged internals..making more power from increasing timing is likely safer than pushing more boost pressure. *though I'm not a tuner..im just the driver.
thanks cornjuice, that's the path I'm aiming for now. Don't feel like doing a big 3" exhaust, stretching the intake tube or getting an aftermarket Intake or swapping injectors and all that. At first it seemed like only $200 more for the bigger turbo but when you add in all the other stuff to consider it becomes much more expensive. I ended up purchasing a jcw sized turbo. In the end it'll probably be cheaper and "safer" to do that and meth + new tune.

Old 09-27-2017 | 06:43 AM
RYANR56
2nd Gear
I have debated some of the same upgrades. But honestly, my car is pretty quick. And best of all, it works every day consistently and is super reliable! I don't want to open the motor and then Start having bigger issues. More power is really addictive. Especially when spanking a Mustang or Camaro! LOL

Old 09-27-2017 | 06:58 AM
cstrumol
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RYANR56
I have debated some of the same upgrades. But honestly, my car is pretty quick. And best of all, it works every day consistently and is super reliable! I don't want to open the motor and then Start having bigger issues. More power is really addictive. Especially when spanking a Mustang or Camaro! LOL
I'll see what it's like once I get the new turbo on this weekend. My current S turbo never worked to full potential after my stage 2 tune. Best I saw was 18psi but that was up around 5500 rpm and flooring it the entire time (peak boost around 3k was only 12-13psi). I think with the new fully functioning turbo I might be happy for some time. But I do find meth injection a little more palatable as opposed to a bigger turbo after some research.