Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

No ps and batt light on

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 12:35 PM
mjcari
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No ps and batt light on

06 r53, with 104k miles. All stock. Newish tensioner and crank pulley (Ati)

Started it today, battery light on, no power steering. Battery voltage is 11.8 at idle and no power steering. Assume it’s the alternator, due to low voltage output, but why no ps? What voltage does the ps pump turn on at? How to know it’s not the ps pump and alternator?

Thoughts?

Old 09-22-2017, 01:05 PM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by mjcari
06 r53, with 104k miles. All stock. Newish tensioner and crank pulley (Ati)

Started it today, battery light on, no power steering. Battery voltage is 11.8 at idle and no power steering. Assume it’s the alternator, due to low voltage output, but why no ps? What voltage does the ps pump turn on at? How to know it’s not the ps pump and alternator?

Thoughts?
I think you answered your own question, "Voltage is 11.8". You're not putting out enough juice,(amps/voltage) to power your electric power steering pump. Hopefully you are handy with a wrench, if not seek out a Indie shop, dealership will take you for a ride.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:22 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
The fuse for the PS pump is 100 amps and I am thinking that as technical as the MINI is, if the voltage is not above a certain amount, the pump will not activate.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:30 PM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by r53coop
The fuse for the PS pump is 100 amps and I am thinking that as technical as the MINI is, if the voltage is not above a certain amount, the pump will not activate.
I would say that is true, ever try turning your wheel with just the ignition on...

You counting down to the Dragon?

just got my Borla exhaust yesterday

Old 09-22-2017, 02:10 PM
mjcari
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I confirmed from the 2006 wiring diagram that the alternator must be outputting to allow the power steering pump to run. Without a signal from the alternator, you won’t have ps.

I ordered a new alternator from Detroit tuned. Thanks guys!

The following users liked this post:
Charlie Victor (10-27-2017)