Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

.tpms

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 07:18 PM
yardakay
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.tpms

I just bought a 2011 base Mini Cooper Clubman. It didn't have run flat tires on it.
I took the wheels off of my 2007 Mini Cooper S and put them on the Clubman because they were the run flats. When I bought the Bridgestone run flats at Costco. .They couldn't find any tire pressure sensors. I found out that they were monitored by the ABS system in the car thus I had no sensors. I drove the Clubman a good 150 miles before the INACTIVE light came on.. I did try the reset but it just kept saying resetting and not sure that it did reset. The little yellow light was still on in the speedometer area.
A little while later the INACTIVE light came on again and when I went through the steps to reset it simply stayed on INACTIVE.. I am guessing that somehow I need sensors now when I didn't before. If you have any help I would appreciate it.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:25 PM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Tpms

I believe the sensors installed on 2007 cars were different than 2008+. They are part of the valve stem and communicate with an antenna in the corner of each wheel
well.
Attached is a picture of a dorman brand aftermarket TPMS sensor for each wheel. These are learned while driving or can be reset with the stalk on the steering column.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:59 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 571 Likes on 487 Posts
Shop around for new sensors. Prices seem to vary a lot. Some of the vendors supporting this site have them.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:51 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
early 2007 cars still had the abs based system (mine did), mid year the system changed to the sensor based system, and since then the frequency changed at least once. outmotoring has them all and is a good place to check which ones you need ...

"Please note, as of the Sept 2009 build date MINI has a different frequency for the TPMS sensors. Please note the option on the drop down menu for build date and slight price change for the newer TPMS kit. Also, the Gen3 MINI ("F" series models) use a different kit as well. Please select accordingly."

https://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coo...nitor_set.html

Old 09-27-2017, 09:29 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,096 Likes on 1,870 Posts
Yes early gen 2 MINIs did not have the built in TPMS. In above 2008 they did and there was a split year on the sensors in 9/2009. You will need to get the 9/2009+ installed on those wheels to get it all working right.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...with-tpms.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172