Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Replaced rod bearings and now crank won't turn

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 04:17 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 265 Likes on 211 Posts
those bolts are torque to yield and should not be reused

Old 09-26-2017, 10:12 AM
My.mojo
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1qwkmini
You may want to order new rod bolts and have a really good look when you fit the new bearings...plasti gauge may or may not help.
You may have distorted the rod journal or stretched the rod bolts when you torqued them with the thicker bearings...be careful!!
Only removing the rod/piston and using a bore gauge will tell you if you have distorted the journal.

BTW...no offense meant by the "patch job" but it has been know to happen!! People then sell the car on to the next guy.
Thank you for all your advice, Im aware of the rod bolts I got new ones for every set of bearings, they're only $4 from mini. I'll post how it goes, Ill plastigauge this time around !

Old 09-29-2017, 12:13 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by 1qwkmini
You may want to order new rod bolts and have a really good look when you fit the new bearings...plasti gauge may or may not help.
You may have distorted the rod journal or stretched the rod bolts when you torqued them with the thicker bearings...be careful!!
Only removing the rod/piston and using a bore gauge will tell you if you have distorted the journal.

BTW...no offense meant by the "patch job" but it has been know to happen!! People then sell the car on to the next guy.