Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

dtc n/a,gas cap check, small,gross vapor leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 07:20 AM
spudeye
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dtc n/a,gas cap check, small,gross vapor leak

This complex took time and a few bucks to sort through to solution. My mini has been a source of endless problems since purchase and is, today, rebuilt, mechanically. The last problem to surface was the check gas cap light and related ses light operations including dtcs n/a, 0422, 0455 which are the vapor leaks (somewhere) codes. I changed the gas cap twice with no change in codes; then I pulled the Leak Detection Pump, changed damaged and worn hoses, reinstalled with no change to dtcs. Then I changed the vapor pipe which runs from the PVC to throttle housing (cracked shaped rubber fittings), purchased from Pelican Parts, with no change to dtcs. At this point I was zeroing in on the vapor/charcoal canister complex mounted underside rear on the gas tank with rivets.
In the process of replacing the short block, I had changed the solenoid/purge vapor valve which sits mounted on a bracket in the right front of the engine held in place by one of the support bolts (because it was old). On a just maybe premis I reinstalled the old purge valve and cleared all trouble codes and all idiot lightswow!!!
The interesting feature about the purge valve is that beneath the upper hose input pipe is an adjusting screw to enlarge or decrease the vapor entry port which I found by accident when the covering plastic fell off the new valve when I removed it. Keep that in mind when changing purge valves: the valve adjusts.
As matters stand now, all is good.

Last edited by spudeye; 09-25-2017 at 07:22 AM. Reason: spelling, credits
Old 09-25-2017, 08:40 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Glad you got it all figured out and glad we could help you replace some items that needed fixing.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-25-2017, 04:20 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
This is good info. Moving you to the Stock Problems/Issues area.