Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

R56 Cooper S Loose Steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 01:01 PM
ssashton
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
R56 Cooper S Loose Steering

I got this car a few months ago and knew the steering was a touch loose when I got it. I assumed it was steering tie rods and or lower ball joints. I've changed both and it has got 50% better but I am now certain my steering column has some wiggle in it.

I removed it from the car to check it carefully. The interesting thing is that the CV joints are solid. There is no play in the actual shaft in a rotational manner, but where the shaft exits the main body it has some wiggle in the (I think nylon) plastic bushing it passes through. As the forces are not all in line with the shaft this translates as about 1degree of looseness in the steering at center position.

I made a video which I hope shows the issue. I'd like to ask if anyone else has had this problem and if there is a known repair or part?

Thanks!