Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Clutch bleed help high pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 07:45 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Clutch bleed help high pedal?

So I have 103k on what I believe is the stock clutch, I am the second owner and do not see anything in the service records about a clutch replacement, that doesn't mean it wasn't done independently. I do get some slip when shifting from 3rd to 4th on full throttle pulls but if I stay in it, the clutch fully catches within a second. The pedal is high, probably only fully engaging in the last 2-3 inches of movement but I can get the car rolling from about halfway up the stroke. Its sort of like very little friction for most of the pedal and then all of a sudden full engagement. I am wondering if I bleed the clutch that it may help a little? I am pretty sure I am in need of a clutch but if I could bleed the system and get some more miles out of it, that would be great. Any thoughts? Worth giving a try?

Old 09-29-2017, 10:49 AM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Is this for your countryman? There was a thread last week about clutches and related repairs for these. It got quite involved compared to the earlier models. On my r56 I benefited from a proper brake fluid flush including paying attention to the clutch slave. They are not expensive and most shops don't do a proper fluid flush unless you ask specifically for a certain fluid, new bleeder screws and a full cleaning.
Its worth the time to do it right. ECS and others have the motive bleeders,fluid and misc stuff so you can get it done properly! I have come to enjoy doing the work knowing that the extra care will pay be back in reliability years down the road.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:47 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 210 Likes on 173 Posts
Would think a clutch engaging lower than usual would be in need of a bleed.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:54 AM
cstrumol
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by R56devotion
Is this for your countryman? There was a thread last week about clutches and related repairs for these. It got quite involved compared to the earlier models. On my r56 I benefited from a proper brake fluid flush including paying attention to the clutch slave. They are not expensive and most shops don't do a proper fluid flush unless you ask specifically for a certain fluid, new bleeder screws and a full cleaning.
Its worth the time to do it right. ECS and others have the motive bleeders,fluid and misc stuff so you can get it done properly! I have come to enjoy doing the work knowing that the extra care will pay be back in reliability years down the road.
in which forum was this? I will have to search. Thank you