Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

New Mini owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 05:36 AM
Tygurscoop
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
New Mini owner

Hello all,
I am a new owner of a 2005 S convertible owner, coming over from motorcycling for 30+ years. I am quite excited to be a part of the Mini community. The car that I bought is really nice, 54,000 miles, but I bought it knowing that the top does not operate. The windows go down when pressing the top down button, but then nothing else works, no sunroof even. I can hear a motor in the back trying to operate but nothing is happening. The switches in the trunk seem to be tripped with the cover and latching arms, but sunroof does not slide, locks to not open. The flashing light is on all of the time when driving. I am trying to figure out how to access the 40 amp fuse under the fuse box in the engine bay, and can only figure that I will have to disconnect the battery lead to the fusebox to be able to check it. What, if anything will I have to re-program if I do this? I have been reading that the windows will have to be cycled 2 times after removing the ground lead from battery to get the top to function again, do I do this with the top down button or with the window toggle switch?
Looking forward to being part of the community and to any answers/suggestions anyone may have.
Thanks,
Doug

Old 09-30-2017, 07:08 AM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Old 09-30-2017, 11:39 AM
mdaz75
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome, let's see it!

Old 09-30-2017, 12:58 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Welcome to NAM. I saw you posted in the Gen1 area about your issue. ECS is a vendor here that also owns a R52.

If you are hearing the motor, then the 40 amp fuse is most likely OK. I am wondering if its the sunroof as if that does not retract the top clamps cannot open.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (10-03-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 02:59 PM
Tygurscoop
2nd Gear
Pics to come shortly. r53coop, It may be the pump in the left rear quarter that I am hearing. The overhead motor in the top is not running. am I ok to remove the battery lead at the engine fuse box to check that 40 amp fuse?

Old 09-30-2017, 03:13 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
To access the fuse, first disconnect the Negative ground strap in the rear at the battery. Then you will need to remove the front air filter to radiator plastic tube, the ECU harness, the ecu and then the air box itself. Only then can you remove the two screws that hold the screw box and turn the fuse box over. I am thinking that if you have red lights flashing, the 40 amp fuse is working. I am thinking that 40 amp fuse feeds a "panel" that is behind the side panel of the driver rear seat. There are several electrical plugs back there that I know for sure as I found them when I was hunting for rattles.

Modmini has some videos that shows how to get the air box and ecu out. The ECU harness is a tricky, as you pull the tabs back, the plug actually rises out of the female end that is down into the ECU area.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:13 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Going to move this to the Stock Problems/Issues area.

Old 09-30-2017, 04:12 PM
Tygurscoop
2nd Gear
r53coop,
Thanks for the input, i will try to look at the suggested threads. Put this thread where you deem necessary.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:20 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 762 Likes on 622 Posts
Welcome

To Diag your top problem you need to hook up the BMW software to read the diag signals to narrow down what the problem is as it may be as simple as one switch.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 10-01-2017, 11:45 AM
Tygurscoop
2nd Gear
I am hopeful that when I get to return to work, (I am off for a few weeks due to a motorcycle accident), that I can get it diagnosed. I work at a local community college, and we have all the updated snap-on scanners. Talked to one of the instructors today, and with any likelihood that it will provide the info that we need.
In the meantime, we will just enjoy it as is, and do some simple maint. Here are a couple of pics, including one with my dads newly acquired 2000 boxster. We should be able to enjoy the weekends just fine!

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (10-03-2017)
Old 01-19-2018, 11:24 AM
Tygurscoop
2nd Gear
Finally, a day that is nice enough to even think of being out and about. Trying today to diagnose the sunroof motor, and lo and behold now we have absolutely nothing happening, not even the windows going down upon pressing the top down button. Maybe a blown fuse?