Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Transmission failure???

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 10:59 PM
Manon
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission failure???

I just bought a 2004 mini Cooper S. The clutch pedal is firm but the car doesn't move. While the car is running I can change gears without pressing the clutch. I checked the gear linkage and they are intact and connected. I don't hear any grinding noises or anything out of the ordinary. The kid I bought the car from had put in a brand new super charger 2 months ago and thinks the clutch went out... My concern is I can change gears without the clutch pressed. Could it be an issue with the slave cylinder? Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:13 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
clutch went out

I have heard people say the clutch went out, but I would never say it in this way. Clutch went out convey clutch ain't home so clutch no worky.

I would rather say the clutch is kaputt.

Your problem smells like the clutch failed catastrophically. I have never seen a clutch failed catastrophically. For it to happen there should be plenty of clues and likely smelly before the car does not move when put into gear.

As you describe the clutch pedal is firm, do you mean it is stiff and cannot be depressed. If so the release lever and bearing must be stuck in the de-clutch position. In any event there is nothing you can do except remove the engine/transmission to service the clutch. The chance is you will likely need to replace the flywheel together with all the clutch pieces.

As to the possibility is the slave cylinder. Only if the piston seized at the stroke out (extended) position can lead to this symptom. That should be simple enough to check with a helper.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:30 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Going to move you to the Stock Problems/Issues area.

Have you taken a look under the car to see if the linkage from the hydraulic cylinder to the trannie is still moving.