Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Sticky/creaky clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 12:17 AM
Subw00er
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Sticky/creaky clutch pedal

I have a non smooth clutch action. A friend helped me locate the sound and vibration and it appeared to be the slave cylinder, so I replaced it with a new one and did a very full bleed with motul600, but the sound persists. I know its not the pedal itself making the noise because when I was bleeding the slave and had air in the line, the clutch action in the car was dead smooth!

So it looks like the sound and grabby clutch action is originating from the transmission/bell housing area. I can get into gear ok and other than the stickyness and difficulty in modulating starts from a stop, the car drives fine.

What would be the potential fixes? Throw out bearing? Forks? Springs in there? Any potentially easy jobs to try first before tearing the tranny apart?

Old 10-01-2017, 01:38 AM
Scudder44
4th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=35_0267

Check part 7, return spring is not broken or missing.

Last edited by Scudder44; 10-01-2017 at 01:47 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:35 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 390 Likes on 357 Posts
Since you already eliminated the slave cylinder, what remain are the parts in the clutch housing. It is hard to guess what can be the cause. It may be the release bearing is dragging on the slider tube because accumulation of oil and dirt from transmission shaft seal leak. It could also be pressure plate diaphragm spring failure. I would order a new clutch kit before starting the engine gearbox removal. You will likely need everything. What to order should be gauged by the mileage and condition of your car.

The spring in at the pedal does next to nothing but to hold the pedal up.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:20 AM
Subw00er
5th Gear
Scudder, I checked and lubed the spring, no change.

The car has 47K miles. Not sure I'd need a clutch yet, but I guess its good practice to just replace it?

Is replacement of the bearing and tube for the faint at heart? I'm pretty handy, but I dont have a hoist or any abnormal tools. Is this a $1-2K dealer repair?! I guess its a service mode type deal, separate the tranny from the motor, support the motor, remove engine and tranny mounts.. lots of fiddly wires etc to remove?!

Old 10-01-2017, 09:27 AM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by Subw00er
Scudder, I checked and lubed the spring, no change.

The car has 47K miles. Not sure I'd need a clutch yet, but I guess its good practice to just replace it?

Is replacement of the bearing and tube for the faint at heart? I'm pretty handy, but I dont have a hoist or any abnormal tools. Is this a $1-2K dealer repair?! I guess its a service mode type deal, separate the tranny from the motor, support the motor, remove engine and tranny mounts.. lots of fiddly wires etc to remove?!
It is very labor intensive. Two ways of doing it. Remove the complete drivetrain one piece, or remove only the transmission. There are pros and cons either way. Modmini has excellent videos though he makes it look so easy.

Unless you are extremely easy (like me ) on the clutch then only replace the parts that are tired or failed.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:36 AM
Subw00er
5th Gear
I just saw the vid. Scary!

Old 10-01-2017, 09:42 AM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by Subw00er
I just saw the vid. Scary!
Watch it repeatedly enough time and you mind begins to trick you to think you are Kurt.

The method to remove the subframe and just the tranny requires a lot of struggle and cussing with words you didn't know you know under the car.