Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Battery Light and Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 12:44 AM
mike chua
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery Light and Power Steering

Hey guys,

I read up on a thread here regarding a battery light and power steering issue and perhaps you guys can weigh in on the problem.

So my mini (r53) has been sitting in my garage for about a month and a half of no starts nor runs. I grounded it because I had to change the radiator fan as the low speed fan isnt turning on. I removed the fan and found out that the relay was my problem so i just rewired everything to a new relay and socket and the fan now works. I also managed to replace the secondary fuel float (dont know what its called really), the one with the fuel filter rear passenger side of the car.

Turned on the mini and it doesnt seem to start. So i changed the battery on it to a new one. Started it and voila it worked. Problem is, the battery light wont turn off and the power steering seems to be gone. I've read up on some other websites that if the voltage on the alternator is iffy, the power steering wont work so I did a voltage check on the alternator and it reads 11v which tells me theres something wrong.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-01-2017, 05:38 PM
mjcari
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need an alternator. See my thread from a few days ago here --> https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-light-on.html

Your alternator didn't charge your battery and it died.

The following users liked this post:
Charlie Victor (10-27-2017)