Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

MCS R56 P1497 and P2187 codes

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 05:52 AM
MtDew
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MCS R56 P1497 and P2187 codes

Hello All!

I'm new to the Mini World but not new to getting my hands dirty with working on cars and trucks.

So I bought this 2007 Mini Cooper S R56 from my next door neighbor. The #2 piston chipped and loss compression. It sat in her driveway for about 3-4 months.

So I bought the car and pulled the motor, swapped in a used, lower mile motor.
I walnut blasted the intake valves before installation. The replacement motor has 66K miles. It was a long block swap, so I transferred all the externals over to the replacement motor.
So here is the list of the new parts installed so far:
New coil packs
New spark plugs
New intake gaskets
New valve cover and gasket
New exhaust manifold gasket and turbo to dp gasket.

These parts now only have 100 miles on them

So I am getting the P1497 and P2187 codes. The idle is sort of rough and seems to hunt up and down. It does stall sometimes when sitting at a stop sign or traffic light. I was also getting some misfire codes. I purchased a used HPFP and did the swap. Still get the P1497 and P2187.
I've been working with "MiniToBe" here on the sight. He was nice and did some diagnostics on the car and even let me borrow a few HPFP's to try out. No real change even with his pumps.
I have checked and tightened all the clamps on the intercooler pipes, at the throttle body and at the turbo. I cleaned the MAF and sprayed Carb Cleaner around looking for Vacuum leaks, Nothing is found so far.

So anyone else have the same issue or have other areas I should be looking at?
Open for ideas and help.
Thanks!

Last edited by MtDew; 10-01-2017 at 05:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-01-2017, 07:04 AM
400mphpc
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Hello MtDew, I just went though a similar situation with my 09 MCS. Is was not throwing the same code but the symptoms of the low idle hunting were close to yours. I finally had to break down and replace the valve cover. It was leaking around one of the bolt holes next to the turbo. While I was in there, I also replaced the vacuum lines, intake manifold and cleaned the throttle body really well. I did not have access to a smoke tester but would recommend that if you have connections to get your hands on one.

I also had a similar experience with my pervious 08 MCS. It was the vacuum lines got oily and weak which put me into limp mode and was a pita to sort out, but simple fix overall. You could have a cracked PCV intake tube, so be sure to check it as well. These tubes are very fragile and can crack underneath the heat wrap.

Hope something I have said will help you find a solution. Like me, I just had to hunt it down and fianlly spend a little $$ to get it resolved. Did save myself a lot of dealer fees by being patient and doing the work on my own.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:10 AM
MtDew
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 400mphpc
Hello MtDew, I just went though a similar situation with my 09 MCS. Is was not throwing the same code but the symptoms of the low idle hunting were close to yours. I finally had to break down and replace the valve cover. It was leaking around one of the bolt holes next to the turbo. While I was in there, I also replaced the vacuum lines, intake manifold and cleaned the throttle body really well. I did not have access to a smoke tester but would recommend that if you have connections to get your hands on one.

I also had a similar experience with my pervious 08 MCS. It was the vacuum lines got oily and weak which put me into limp mode and was a pita to sort out, but simple fix overall. You could have a cracked PCV intake tube, so be sure to check it as well. These tubes are very fragile and can crack underneath the heat wrap.

Hope something I have said will help you find a solution. Like me, I just had to hunt it down and fianlly spend a little $$ to get it resolved. Did save myself a lot of dealer fees by being patient and doing the work on my own.
Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I just installed the new valve cover yesterday, cleared the codes and took it for a drive. They came back! I may try and replace the small vacuum lines and see what happens.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:15 AM
400mphpc
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Good luck.