Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Reset timing

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 05:11 PM
Minjes
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reset timing

Hey everyone,
just need a little help, I was replacing the timing chain on my 2005 Mini Cooper s. Went ahead and replaced The sprocket off the camshaft as well as the crankshaft, made a tool to lock the cam shaft sprocket while removing, however, while pulling the sprocket off the crankshaft, I had accidentally spun the crankshaft slightly. I moved it back to where I thought it was positioned originally but to give myself peace in mind, I want to make sure I have the correct timing before I close everything up. Can anyone offer a quick and easy method to achieve this?
thanks

Old 10-23-2017, 05:40 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Going to move you to the Stock Problems/Issues area. Thinking you need remove the crank pulley, expose the crank sprocket and find TDC.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:55 PM
Minjes
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The pulley (harmonic balancer) has been removed, sprocket has been replaced. new timing chain hasn't been installed yet. how do I get Top Dead Centre, does this require exposing the cylinders?

Old 10-23-2017, 06:15 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Below is a video by Modmini, pretty sure he shows how he puts the cam/crank gears on.

Old 10-23-2017, 06:42 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Actually it is very easy to set back up. Just look at the manual and you will see that you just need to line up the copper color teeth to the marks on the crank and cam.

If you need to turn the crank, just go ahead and pull the cam out. That way all the valves will be closed and you can turn it to the correct position. Then reinstall the cam and line up your marks.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more