Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Driver side axle replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 09:19 PM
Jake Renninger
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver side axle replacement

Why does every video ever only ever show how to do the passenger side axle??? I know it just pulls out but is it the same as the driver side? The tube the the knuckle goes into cracked and blew some chunks but the majorityof it is still there. How do I get that last part out so I can replace it??

Old 10-26-2017, 04:47 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
I am thinking you wedge a screw driver or larger pinch bar (if you can get it in the space) between the part of axle left in place and the transfer case. Then you pull forward. Might have to try from a couple different places around the part.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:59 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
At 13:26 of this video snip (below), Mod MINI mentions a C-clip as part of the driver side axle removal.

At 19:41 of this video snip (below), he shows how he used a pry-bar to pop it out.

In your predicament, spray it down good with some PB Blaster or other good penetrating oil, the maybe cut a slot into the tube with a Dremel or saw and using a small block of wood for leverage against the gearbox case - try to insert a long screwdriver or long thin pry-bar into the slot and carefully pry it out?

Good luck, and let us know how you fare...

Last edited by AoxoMoxoA; 10-26-2017 at 06:10 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:43 AM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Wow, what happened? I cant say I have ever seen that before…

A large screwdriver or an angled pry bar through or around the LCA should give you the necessary room to pop that axle out. Very straightforward if I recall.

Getting the axle out was the easy part. Getting it back into position so the transmission would accept it was a small PITA. Hopefully, you have the tool or access to one to assist you.

Let us know how it goes and good luck.

Last edited by CooperSAZ; 10-26-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:46 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by CooperSAZ
Wow, what happened? I cant say I have ever seen that before…
Having never taken my axle out, and after comparing your photo (axle removed from gearbox) to the OP's photos, it's apparent as to what's happened here, and it appears worse than I first thought. Initially, I was under the impression that the axle itself was broken off at the end and was stuck in place, but that does not appear to be the case.

It looks like the interior socket assembly (which the axle slides into; labeled inner & outer on your photo) is broken and pulled out of the the OP's gearbox. There's supposed to be a shaft seal at the end (p/n 23117550058 - pictured in your photo) but it looks like it's gone, and the parts behind the seal have been pulled out.

Is this even repairable?

Old 10-27-2017, 10:55 AM
RUPNOK
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
No, there is nothing wrong with the trans housing. Use a stubby pry bar between the transmission case and the inner CV housing to separate. Might take a bit of effort, but it will come out. You need to overcome the clip on the end of the cv axle.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:33 PM
sarom058
5th Gear
Location: Portland, OR *currently in a temporary email address
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by RUPNOK
No, there is nothing wrong with the trans housing. Use a stubby pry bar between the transmission case and the inner CV housing to separate. Might take a bit of effort, but it will come out. You need to overcome the clip on the end of the cv axle.
+1. The axle just popped out of the CV housing. Although, I too have never seen that happen. Too many lows, perhaps?

Btw, if I remember correctly, the axle only comes out a certain amount when you pry on the housing. After the first little bit, I think I usually just pull on the inner half-axle to get it out of the transmission.

Good luck!

Old 11-03-2017, 10:51 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Wow. That is one nasty break. Looks like an IED (internal explosive design) got it. There must have been some warning before it failed so catastrophically.

Old 11-04-2017, 12:32 AM
Jake Renninger
1st Gear
Thank you all for all of your help!! I just got a decent sized flat head and it just popped out no problem. And with the warning, there was none! I'm just lucky I was going 15mph and not the speed I was at 2 minutes prior😨😨 I've read and heard good reviews about Insane Shafts axles so I purchased a pair of their 500hp rated axles!

Old 11-05-2017, 01:49 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Jake Renninger
Thank you all for all of your help!! I just got a decent sized flat head and it just popped out no problem. And with the warning, there was none! I'm just lucky I was going 15mph and not the speed I was at 2 minutes prior😨😨 I've read and heard good reviews about Insane Shafts axles so I purchased a pair of their 500hp rated axles!
Wow, someone is watching over you!

Great news that you figured it out. I find that luck favors the prepared and sometimes its worth getting under these little beasties every 6 months or so just to make sure there are is nothing leaking and everything is sound.

Old 11-05-2017, 02:04 PM
sarom058
5th Gear
Location: Portland, OR *currently in a temporary email address
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by CooperSAZ
I find that luck favors the prepared and sometimes its worth getting under these little beasties every 6 months or so just to make sure there are is nothing leaking and everything is sound.
^^ Yeah, see, that's what smart people do

Old 05-01-2020, 04:50 PM
BimmerBoy E90
Neutral
I know I am kind of bringing back a thread that hasn't been active in awhile but like the OP said, you can't find much on the drivers side of the car. I have an r56 automatic and I am in the process of changing the axle. I had a hard time getting out and now a hard time getting it back in. When taking out the axle, my output shaft seal came out. It is listed as outer on the photo posted above. Mine is a real hard plastic, are they suppose to be that way? Ive seen some new ones that look like a softer rubber. There just doesn't seem to be much room for this thing to go in and be flush. I will post some pictures. I also see that the Bentley Manual has some specialty tools it says to use. I can't find them anywhere on the internet. The also talk about an assembly guard that comes with a new seal. Everywhere I look it doesn't mention any of them coming with them. Your help is greatly appreciated.