Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Fused outer ball joint - what a PITA

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 09:16 AM
B dub
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fused outer ball joint - what a PITA

I'm in the process of replacing the right axle but ran into an issue with the ball joint. It is suck and won't pop loose. The picture shows it with the bolts installed but of course I removed them.

I've been pounding the heck out of the swing arm with a large hammer, I've been soaking it with PB Blast, but it won't give.

I just placed an order for a replacement ball joint, then I will heat it up to see if the works. Fun stuf.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:56 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
When I removed them to do the struts, they came right out. The next time was to replace the CV Boot, it would not budge. I ended up using a pickle fork and just popping the ball-joint out, that might be easier....

Last edited by gumbedamit; 10-30-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:11 PM
megaDan
4th Gear
Received 191 Likes on 121 Posts
I used a chisel and a 3lb sledge in the area where the ball joint flange overlaps past the knuckle itself. With a lot of elbow grease I got the two to separate. Godspeed. Outer ball joints suck.

I can tell by the condition of the components that you're also from the Midwest. Looks very similar to the car I just ripped apart.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:21 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 265 Likes on 211 Posts
I used an air hammer, and it sucked, I found it helps to get it to twist a little while I worked it out

Old 10-30-2017, 03:52 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Going to move you to Stock Problems/Issues area.

"Welding" via electrolysis due to road salts (I assume from you location) is a bummer.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:19 PM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts
do you want/need to replace the ball joint? or just separate it so you can replace the axle? if you just need to separate them, try removing the 2 13mm bolts holding the joint to the steering knuckle and then you can separate them that way. I put antiseize between the ball joint and the knuckle so that they come apart easily when I need them to.

If you need to separate the control arm from the ball joint, a small sledge and a pickle fork are what you need.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:07 PM
CSP
5th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Just had to remove the steering knuckle on my r53. Fortunately I got it out after a couple solid knocks with a 5 lb hammer. Do you have a ball joint puller/separator? I've had good luck with one of those.

Good idea to just order a new one and destroy... Not worth the headache of trying to keep it. Good luck with the torch!

Old 10-31-2017, 04:55 PM
sarom058
5th Gear
Location: Portland, OR *currently in a temporary email address
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Torch it, then smack the sh** out of it with the biggest hammer you have. Sorry man, fused suspension sucks. This seems like MegaDan's realm of expertise actually, I'd PM him, maybe he has some tips!

And +1 on CSP's advice, one of
these these
makes for a quick-n-painless removal of the ball joint from the control arm. You can even reuse the joint (after sanding all the crud off) if it isn't leaking and seems to be moving fine!

Edit: oh wow, I should really read the whole thread before posting....

Old 11-05-2017, 03:24 PM
Black Forest
4th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
I used a chisel same as MegaDan. Just worked my way around the outer edges and eventually she came out. Put grease on the replacement to prevent that happening again. I also put some never seize on the 2 bolts as I don't want those to break and really screwup my day.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:00 AM
B dub
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick update; as mentioned I realized I really don't need to pop out the ball joint to remove the axle so I didn't . I removed the axle just fine and replaced it with a new one.

I started driving and the new axle is making a knocking sounds. I think it's bad. I put the car back on the lift and confirmed nothing is loose. When you roll the body of the car you can feel the axle popping. I'm going back to the shop where I bought the axle.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:01 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,097 Likes on 1,871 Posts
That stinks. I was going to say like above" Torch it, then smack the blank out of it with the biggest hammer you have" I would replace it while you are there as if you start getting a clunk noise it might be the ball joint gong bad. Then when you put the new one in anti-seize it with some of that grease. Thats what i did, so if I ever replace it again.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ll-joints.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172