Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

and another oil consumption question

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 04:26 PM
pkunk
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
and another oil consumption question

2008 Justa Clubman, 131K and has used oil at about 1/2 qt every 1500m.
Today after 20 m at about 70mph I slowed for a left turn and excelerated.
A huge cloud of smoke! Seemed normal for the next 30 m at 70 mph and had to slow for a town and noticed a miss at 25 in 3rd, more smoke (alot) getting back up to speed. Normal again (can't see any oil smoke at 70), no noticable miss until I get to the city. Now a miss, engine won't idle. Trouble navigating city traffic. Get the shopping done, get oil checked, add a 1/2 qt. after only 70m. Head home, no miss, no oil cloud, idles smooth, used another 1/2 qt in 70m return. Car seems back to normal except for (maybe) oil use, will need another day to know for sure.
Could this be a stuck PCV valve?
No codes, engine H2O temp normal at 215°

Last edited by pkunk; 10-30-2017 at 04:47 PM. Reason: add info
Old 10-30-2017, 04:46 PM
BeardedForever
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Valve Seals/Guides are probably your culprit. I had the same problems.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:59 PM
pkunk
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BeardedForever
Valve Seals/Guides are probably your culprit. I had the same problems.
But all of a sudden? This was like yesterday all was good and today a huge smoke screen.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:09 PM
BeardedForever
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine would go a week between puffs and then sometimes I couldn't get it to stop smoking. It's possible but I'm can't really say what your cars problem is.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:50 PM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Pull the spark plugs and see if they are oil soaked. How does your coolant reservoir look? I would drain all of the oil out completely. Add new oil to proper level and check each day for a few hundred miles.
if you went to the dealer, they would seal your oil cap, have you drive 500 miles and they would measure how much oil is drained out.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:54 PM
pkunk
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by R56devotion
Pull the spark plugs and see if they are oil soaked. How does your coolant reservoir look? I would drain all of the oil out completely. Add new oil to proper level and check each day for a few hundred miles.
if you went to the dealer, they would seal your oil cap, have you drive 500 miles and they would measure how much oil is drained out.
Plugs are good now, coolant full. Expect they were wet when engine was missing. There were quite a few miles at 3k rpm to clean them. Oil is Castrol Syn 0-40 with only about 4k with a few adds of 1/2qt.
It's full now and will drive maybe 80 mi tomorrow. I'll check when I get home.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:10 PM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
On my ‘10 R56 I am still running 5w-30. If you are reading the dipstick in a particular way- you could be overfilling your oil. How are you measuring that you are low on oil before you add it each time?
I change mine every 3,500 - which is overkill, but I can keep better track of what’s going in and how much drains out. 1/2 quart per 1,000 miles is ok per bmw/mini, but the dipstick is horrendous. Sadly a lot of oil overfill and consumption is user error. The full range of the bulbs on the stick is less than 1/2 qt from full to dry on the stick.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:17 PM
pkunk
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by R56devotion
On my ‘10 R56 I am still running 5w-30. If you are reading the dipstick in a particular way- you could be overfilling your oil. How are you measuring that you are low on oil before you add it each time?
I change mine every 3,500 - which is overkill, but I can keep better track of what’s going in and how much drains out. 1/2 quart per 1,000 miles is ok per bmw/mini, but the dipstick is horrendous. Sadly a lot of oil overfill and consumption is user error. The full range of the bulbs on the stick is less than 1/2 qt from full to dry on the stick.
I'm not over filling. I pull the dipstick, let the hot engine sit for 20-30 min in the garage before checking. I lay the stick on a sheet of paper towel to read. Oil is too clean to see on the stick. I'm not a newbie to reading oil, but need some real insight as to what caused a massive oil burn. I mean the cloud was huge! Then went away

Old 10-31-2017, 01:27 PM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by pkunk
I'm not over filling. I pull the dipstick, let the hot engine sit for 20-30 min in the garage before checking. I lay the stick on a sheet of paper towel to read. Oil is too clean to see on the stick. I'm not a newbie to reading oil, but need some real insight as to what caused a massive oil burn. I mean the cloud was huge! Then went away
I wasn't digging" on you..........there are just so many threads about "smoke screens" caused by oil, fuel and carbon build up - that often times, even the dealer techs can't provide a simple answer to what you are explaining.

So to that end, the only option that we have a owners is to cover the basics. To know exactly how much oil is in our engines. To change plugs early and often. To look at fuel mileage and the condition of our PCV systems. These are quirky cars. At every car show I go to, the issue of checking oil is a conversation. The only way to know for sure is to do it yourself. Drain the system completely, clean everything, stick to the 5w30 weight and drive the car for a week. Drain it all out and measure whats in the container. You can reuse all the oil so that nothing is wasted. The Craven dipsticks do help.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:42 PM
pkunk
3rd Gear
OK, OK. The problem is not how or checking my oil. I'm not going to drain and measure-that's BS! I've been checking oil since before most of you were alive.
This car has never been over filled, or run low on oil. That's not the problem I here asking about. Hopefully I don't need to repost everything from my first post in this thread.
Today it used not one drop of oil in 90m and everything was normal.

So the question remains-what caused excessive oil smoke and subsequent missing and then all symptoms went away?

Old 10-31-2017, 04:59 PM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
Good luck

Old 10-31-2017, 05:11 PM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
Checking the valve cover is an easy thing to do. When you pull the plugs, they will tell the story of leaking injector that is stuck open or leaking gasket. Post a pic of the plugs and people here will help. Here is the SIM info for the cover, there are over 20 SIMS listed for your car covering all suggested repairs at dealer. See sticky at top of forum.