Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

No start after fuel filter change: Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 04:00 PM
FuzzyManPeach
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No start after fuel filter change: Help!

OK, so my 2010 JCW has been having hard starts, sometimes stalling now after a few months of ownership, and after looking around, it sounded like the hpfp, even had the right engine fault codes for it. So I bought a new one, and a new filter thinking it would help keep the new pump going for a while longer. I installed the hpfp with no problems, following a guide on here (thanks!) and then it started right up and ran with no issues after I was finished.

The problem came in when I changed out the fuel filter. It was a messy job, but I got everything replaced and where it was supposed to go, but then no start. I figured the lines had to prime, so I kept trying, eventually the battery died. I can hear the pump in the tank priming the line, or at least trying, and I believe fuel is getting up to that top line on the filter housing, but I'm not sure why it won't start.

The only thing I can think of that went wrong, was there was a yellow o-ring in the connector at the top of the housing somehow, but it came out by accident, and was broken. I couldn't figure out where it was supposed to go, so I installed the line without it, and it's not leaking at any time while trying to start it.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:22 PM
FuzzyManPeach
1st Gear
Update: Found out what the issue was, one of the o-rings supplied in the kit was too large for the cap, it just fell off inside the housing. Replaced it with the original one and all was good. I think it might actually have a slow leak from that top outlet, though. I replaced the o-ring I found broken (yellow) but after I put it back together I found ANOTHER o-ring (orange) that I have no idea where it came from. Does anyone know if that top outlet is double o-ringed, and if so, where they both go? There was two o-rings, a black collar bit, and a translucent orange ring that I think all go on there somehow

Old 11-03-2017, 09:44 AM
FuzzyManPeach
1st Gear
Another update: All is fixed, no leaks.

If anyone else accidentally takes that connection apart, the o-rings were 1/16" x 3/8" o-rings that I replaced them with. Ever so slightly smaller, but they fit well.
You need a small socket or some tool to push down the o-rings, one ring first, then the clear orange spacer, then the other o-ring, then the black collar piece with the bevel facing out of the hole. Figured it out through trial and error.