Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

5th Clutch Slave Cylinder Replacement in 3 Months

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 09:18 AM
RedRidingHood
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5th Clutch Slave Cylinder Replacement in 3 Months

Well... As the title states, I am on my 5th clutch slave cylinder replacement in 3 months and the same issue keeps occurring. The plastic rod inside of the boot of the slave keeps bending, causing a fluid leak and total loss of pressure in the clutch. Is there a slave cylinder that exists that has a stainless steel rod instead of plastic?
I have already had the entire clutch assembly replaced, as well. This last slave didn't last 10 miles and I am pulling my hair out! I need help!!

Old 11-05-2017, 09:44 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Moved you to the Stock Problems/Issues area.

It would be logical to assume that something is causing resistance that the plastic plunger rod cannot accept. Hopefully somebody here has some better suggestions.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:17 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by RedRidingHood
Well... As the title states, I am on my 5th clutch slave cylinder replacement in 3 months and the same issue keeps occurring. The plastic rod inside of the boot of the slave keeps bending, causing a fluid leak and total loss of pressure in the clutch. Is there a slave cylinder that exists that has a stainless steel rod instead of plastic?
I have already had the entire clutch assembly replaced, as well. This last slave didn't last 10 miles and I am pulling my hair out! I need help!!
Unless you have a aftermarket high performance clutch kit that taxes the Mini's toy plastic slave cylinder there is absolutely something wrong with you clutch you should investigate. For me I dislike light clutch pedal but for our Mini it comes with the territory being mini. The only high performance clutch kit that I am aware that will give me the preferred clutch pedal feel and I will feel comfortable is OS Giken. Unlike other "high performance and flywheel kits" they are the only company that I am aware that designed and makes a special release bearing for the increase pressure plate force. Sorry, the release bearing is another weak link in the chain, and is not your problem but I thought I mention it.

There is a aluminum slave clutch cylinder you can buy for circa $100. I would think it is a waste of money if you don't have a race clutch kit.