Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

R53 Wet Headliner No Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 01:54 PM
thrash0249
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R53 Wet Headliner No Sunroof

Hello All(I tried to keep it short, bare with me),

We have a 06' Mini Cooper JCW with NO sunroof. I while(2 Years) back I noticed that the headliner on the driver side was getting slightly wet during really bad storms. This would happen rarely. We had the windshield replaced about 6 months prior and blamed that. Wasn't much an issue going forward so it was forgotten about.

About a week ago, it rained hard. I went to go to work and there was an inch of water on the floor(driver side, passenger side was dry), and the headliner on the driver side and center area around the mirror, didnt noticed if mirror was wet. Cleaned up and Immediately scheduled and appointment with safelite. They replaced the windshield.

they could not find any leaks in the top, but did find an air gap in sealant at the bottom.

Had some rain yesterday and the floor and the headliner is wet again, not as bad.

So I have been looking through threads and noticed two possible culprits. "A Pillar" on the driver side and the Antenna or Aerial seal.

Reading this I would hope that since the windshield was just replaced, it wouldn't be that. and that they would notice the leak in the A pillar when they took it off to do the windshield.

I did however walk over to the antenna and press it to move it a bit and it made a wet squishy sound.

Have I found what I am looking for? I want another opinion before I start pulling the headliner down. Any other ideas?

Old 11-06-2017, 02:03 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Moving you to the Stock Problems/Issues area.

If the headliner is wet in the middle, I would suspect the antenna as I do not see how water would wick up that high.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:48 PM
thrash0249
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah that's my biggest issue. I don't see how so much water could get from the back to the front, down the pillar I guess? and flood just the driver side. I am thinking the seal is bad though, it ozzes water...