Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Gas leak in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 03:38 PM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Gas leak in cold weather

Ok internet, help me out.

I have a gas leak over my first injector (far left if facing the engine bay). This happened last year when I first bought the car and drove it across the country in the dead of winter (20 degrees) driving for 8 hours per day. I didn't notice anything while on the highway, but as soon as I would pull up to a stop light I could smell a strong gas smell while inside the cabin (from heater vents). The smell would go away when driving.. Its a strong odor.

When I popped the hood, I could see gas on my injector. I took it to Baron MINI (KC) and they couldn't reproduce it, but said my oil was old and smelled like gas a little, so they gave me the $100 oil change and sent me on my way. I continued to drive in cold weather and never noticed the problem again. Fast forward one year, and I had the same issue.

This time I popped the hood as soon as I got in my garage and saw something dripping on my injector. I had been looking in the wrong place, I assumed it was the injector itself.

Attached are two photos. I did some quick searching, but found no diagrams. For the sake of time can you guys help me ID this problem while I search as well? This is a safety issue, so I want to figure this out ASAP. I'm going to see if my mechanic has time to take a look, but he's not a MINI guy.. So if I could point him in the right direction that would be helpful.

The gas looks like its coming from the black braided hose going under the intercooler.

Last edited by burley; 11-09-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:19 PM
burley
6th Gear
Basic research reveals its the fuel line () that feeds the fuel rail. Ask a dumb question, get a dumb answer.

I more or less didn't know what was between the hose and the injectors since I've never explored under the intercooler before. I have a parts R50, hopefully the fuel bits are the same. Maybe something is contracting in the cold, causing a leak?

Last edited by burley; 11-09-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:16 PM
burley
6th Gear
Here's a procedure for replacing the fuel pressure regulator, which seems like it, or a close relative, might be the problem. Sine I have a parts car, I'll just replace the entire section and see if its better. I hope the parts are interchangeable.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...regulator.html

Old 11-11-2017, 05:04 AM
burley
6th Gear
Anyone know if the o-rings on the injectors can be found at an autoparts store or do I need the dealership version? I'm about to take her on a test drive and it dawned on me that the leak could be the injector spraying fuel upward..

Crickets here.. Echo!

Last edited by burley; 11-11-2017 at 05:13 AM.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:18 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Would think you could get o-rings around town. Some hardware stores have nitrile o-rings that will work with petrol products.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:11 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 390 Likes on 357 Posts
I suspect that your flexible fuel line is likely fine. I would check the compression quick release joint at the fuel rail, but this evidence may have been lost as you swapped in the stuff from your parts R50. The other possibility is the injector o-rings as you're suspecting. I would only use generic o-rings in a pinch and replace with the OEM ones ASAP. These o-rings look to be extra thick. They have to contend with the boosted pressure circa 15 - 18 PSI.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:43 AM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
I suspect that your flexible fuel line is likely fine. I would check the compression quick release joint at the fuel rail, but this evidence may have been lost as you swapped in the stuff from your parts R50. The other possibility is the injector o-rings as you're suspecting. I would only use generic o-rings in a pinch and replace with the OEM ones ASAP. These o-rings look to be extra thick. They have to contend with the boosted pressure circa 15 - 18 PSI.
- Is this the quick release joint? (I just swapped it with my R50.)
- Would the o-rings off my R50's injectors work? I have a JCW.

I'm going to button everything up, and if I still have a leak then I'll look at replacing o-rings. I know new is best and these are cheap, but I have extra o-rings sitting here.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:49 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 390 Likes on 357 Posts
Originally Posted by burley
- Is this the quick release joint? (I just swapped it with my R50.)
- Would the o-rings off my R50's injectors work? I have a JCW.

I'm going to button everything up, and if I still have a leak then I'll look at replacing o-rings. I know new is best and these are cheap, but I have extra o-rings sitting here.
Yep! It is just a guess. I don't see why R50 o-rings won't work but I have never seen a R50 underbonnet. Since they share the same head casting, I fail to see why not.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:56 AM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
Yep! It is just a guess. I don't see why R50 o-rings won't work but I have never seen a R50 underbonnet. Since they share the same head casting, I fail to see why not.
Thats good enough for me, I'll pull them off and give it a try. It'll get my wife to work Monday, and I can always order new rings and replace them next week to be on the safe side. Thanks!

Old 11-11-2017, 07:05 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Be sure to put some lube on them before you push the injector back in.

And on pressure, remember that most domestic water systems operate on PSIs of anywhere from 30 to 80, more than sufficient for any Gen1 system. Just need to make sure the material is compatible with gasoline.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:13 AM
burley
6th Gear
Thanks! Just got back from a test drive, the larger leak seems gone, but I may need to drive longer. There's gas on and at the base of injector 2. I'll be replacing the o-rings after all..

The injectors look quite different on the cooper, but I'll have to pull them to find out. I really appreciate the help everyone!

Old 11-11-2017, 05:25 PM
CSP
5th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Your fuel line quick connect looks slightly corroded to me. Could just be the picture and could be totally unrelated to leak...

Did you actually narrow it down to o-ring failure?

Old 11-11-2017, 06:45 PM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CSP
Your fuel line quick connect looks slightly corroded to me. Could just be the picture and could be totally unrelated to leak...

Did you actually narrow it down to o-ring failure?
The corroded fuel line is actually the replaced line from my parts R50. It was a free repair, so if it leaks too no $ lost, but the chances of two leaking are slim. I narrowed it down to the o-ring because its either the fuel line, rail, or line. Rails rarely leak, and the quick connects on the lines are pretty problem free, but it was the cheapest and easiest repair so I checked that off the list first.

After more driving, if the leak comes back I'll do the o-rings because.. what else could it be?? Injector itself will be next plan of action.