Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

2006 Mini Cooper S JCW Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 08:45 AM
jaypark28@gmail.com
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mini Cooper S JCW Engine Noise

Hello all,
Unfortunately my 2006 Mini Cooper S started making noise from passenger side of engine a few weeks ago. The sound can be described as metal clacking sound and present at idles and present in all RPM ranges but goes away around 2.9k to 3.3k. I did not go above 3.3k rpm fearing that I will do further damages. I managed to borrow one of my friend's stethoscope and it seems the sound is coming from the park that connects intercooler to supercharger unit.

The car actually drives ok without any other warning light or symptoms.

Can anyone help me identify the source of the issues? Based on search it seems either supercharger or timing belt guides? Any my comments and help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by jaypark28@gmail.com; 11-26-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:09 AM
Scudder44
4th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts
Sounds 100% like the timing chain is slack. You could try changing out your tensioner as a first fix. The tensioner has had several revions and has been uprated. If that does not fix it you are looking at chain/guides/sprocket replacement sooner rather than later because a loose chain can derail/jump teeth, smash the plastic guide rails and wreck your valves and more.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:47 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,097 Likes on 1,871 Posts
Could be the tensioner or the guides, those are the first two things i would check.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tensioner.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-27-2017, 09:25 AM
jaypark28@gmail.com
1st Gear
Thank you all for the comments. Turned out to be my supercharger. There were some metal shavings inside the pulley side of the supercharger and I presume that the metal shavings are from bearings/spacers behind the gears. One of the gears has some play. So in need of a supercharger.

Is the supercharger unit different for JCW vs. regular Cooper S?

Thank you!

Originally Posted by Scudder44
Sounds 100% like the timing chain is slack. You could try changing out your tensioner as a first fix. The tensioner has had several revions and has been uprated. If that does not fix it you are looking at chain/guides/sprocket replacement sooner rather than later because a loose chain can derail/jump teeth, smash the plastic guide rails and wreck your valves and more.
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Could be the tensioner or the guides, those are the first two things i would check.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tensioner.html

Old 11-27-2017, 09:27 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,097 Likes on 1,871 Posts
Yes JCW has a reduced pulley size and the Teflon coated rotors. Unless you have a 2005+ MCS, then they were Teflon coated also.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-27-2017, 06:08 PM
jaypark28@gmail.com
1st Gear
So will be getting either rebuilt or used supercharger in next couple of weeks. What other parts/seals/gasket should I replace as "while I am there" items? another member said he replaced the following items. My car has approx 80k miles.

SC intake air duct
Water pump
Serpentine belt
Belt tensioner (no tension)
3-pc radiator hose
Air duct gasket
Throttle body gasket
SC oil

Thank you!

Old 11-28-2017, 02:56 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Crank sensor o-ring as you will be in front service mode.

And if you are looking for some more performance, yes your MPG may suffer (from your foot hitting the gas more by accident of course), a Detroit Tune Bypass Valve. It lowers the vacuum point that the SC will kick in.