Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Parking Brake Cable Too Long??

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 11:50 PM
Jake Renninger
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking Brake Cable Too Long??

I was told the passenger side parking brake cable is supposed to be longer than the driver side but once it was installed, there was too much length because when I engage the hand brake, the passenger side only has a slight hold on the wheel but it can still spin with ease while the driver side one is perfectly tight how it should. I've attached a picture of the length difference with the piece that the balled ends go into. In my opinion, at this spot they should be the same length because then the parking brake handle would pull equally on both instead of just one.
Let me know what I did wrong or what the issue is please it is greatly appreciated!!

Old 11-28-2017, 04:09 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
There is no adjustment nut on either end?

Old 11-28-2017, 09:00 AM
Jake Renninger
1st Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
There is no adjustment nut on either end?
Not that I've seen. It's just a metal cable within a protective sleeve.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:08 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,097 Likes on 1,871 Posts
They updated the length on the cables with the newer ones. That's why I did mine in pairs. The compensator (metal two tab unit above) is not enough for the updated length. I adjusted that front bolt to make them tighter and then that was not enough. So both cables should be done at once.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...in-an-r53.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 11-28-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:21 AM
Jake Renninger
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
They updated the length on the cables with the newer ones. That's why I did mine in pairs. The compensator (metal two tab unit above) is not enough for the updated length. I adjusted that front bolt to make them tighter and then that was not enough.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...in-an-r53.html
So both of my cables are brand new and I did adjust the nut to snug up the cables but I'm only able to tighten it so much because the driver side is already tight while the passenger is still loose. I'm just confus3d on what I need to do to make it the proper length

Old 11-28-2017, 12:03 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
same genuine? If they are they should be the same length. I would check the amount of springback on the caliper. They should be the same lentgh on the part with those rubber protection boots. Then the factory lines might still be a hair off which is compensated in that metal plate.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-28-2017, 12:56 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
That is what makes NAM so good, a vendor that also drives a MINI.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:59 PM
Jake Renninger
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
same genuine? If they are they should be the same length. I would check the amount of springback on the caliper. They should be the same lentgh on the part with those rubber protection boots. Then the factory lines might still be a hair off which is compensated in that metal plate.
Here is where I purchased then from, https://www.waymotorworks.com/parking-brake-cable-r50-r52-r53.html The whole thing is correct and it would be perfectly fine if that passenger side was just even with the driver side one

Old 11-29-2017, 06:59 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
ok, they should be correct then. I would check those lengths and make sure the emergency brake cables are all the way back first on both sides.

Thats spring should be pulling those cables all the way down when the brakes off and the tab on that spring plate should be touching the short rod with the flanged head, thus the e brakes for the caliper is all the way backed out.