Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

What is this thing? (VANOS actuator)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 01:36 PM
tyr
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is this thing? (VANOS actuator)

Okay, so I finished the last one and somehow ended up into another Mini project -- but it's the non turbo one and I thought it was timing but I don't think it is...

So the thing starts and runs for a few seconds, then backfires through the intake and dies. I figured it was timing so took off the cover, put the timing pin in and put the timing tools on and it was in time (I bought a chain kit to replace it anyway), but the oil pressure bolt that slacks or tightens the chain was shot -- I had the old one from the N14 and it looked close enough (it is different, I know) I gave it a shot but it still dies out.

I did notice this whole new contraption past the intake camshaft with a rod that that I'm not sure what it does, but it seems to do something to the valves -- and it's ran off this electric solenoid gear it looks like off the back. I have arrows pointing to both. Could whatever this is possibly cause the symptom I'm seeing?

Doesn't seem to be any bent valves as all the rocker arms are snug. Don't want to pull the head until I at least figure out what that is and what it does to the valves.

Attached Thumbnails What is this thing?  (VANOS actuator)-mvimg_20171227_082100.jpg  
Old 12-27-2017, 01:45 PM
tyr
1st Gear
Okay, so I did find out that electric solenoid is an actuator from this diagram:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_3992

and that it maybe controls an eccentric shaft? based off that sensor's name there possibly?

Still not sure if this is something that could be causing the problem yet though

EDIT: okay, found this explaining that whole thing: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...nic_Faults.htm

So I'll hook up a computer and see what I get next

Last edited by tyr; 12-27-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:45 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
That is the Valvetronic motor and shaft. This allows the ECU to change the amount of valve lift on the intake cam based off load and rpm.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

The following users liked this post:
TorchMINI (01-15-2018)
Old 12-29-2017, 06:12 AM
tyr
1st Gear
So computer threw like 6 codes, p0010 which references the actuator came up and one about a speed sensor. The rest were misfires on cylinder 1, 2, 4.

I cleared them all and the car started and ran (almost normal) for about 20-25 seconds before dying out.

I'm assuming it lasted so long this time because I cleared the codes so it took a second or two for a sensor to throw an error and shut it all down.

Did a compression test and no issues with the valves just to make sure as I didn't really want to pull the head.

Any pointers on this thing? I read a bit that the oil pressure tensioner causes issues sometimes and I have a new one coming in the timing kit, but I'm not sure that it would cause something like this.

The engine is staying in time as well (have checked this several times with the timing tools and the flywheel pin).

Hoping it could be as simple as the tensioner and a reset on the codes, but maybe that actuator has a history of going bad?

Old 12-29-2017, 02:56 PM
atheos
Neutral
have you done a leak down test yet?