Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Driver Side Rear Brake rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 09:39 AM
jux
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver Side Rear Brake rubbing

I replaced the brake pads all around on my 2006 R50 and after replacing them the drivers side rear brake caliper will not fully disengage.

When I replaced them I also adjusted the parking brake and I believe that I adjusted it too much. When I took it on a test drive the drivers side rear brake got very hot to the point where I was getting smoke but only on the drivers side rear. Probably drove it for 3 miles before stopping and noticing the smoke. I nursed it home and backed off on the parking brake cable. The rear caliper was still not releasing so I figured I fried the caliper so I replaced the caliper. After replacing the caliper it still will not release. I checked the parking brake cable to see if there was any binding and couldn't find any either at the handle or where the parking brake cables split. While it was jacked up I removed the parking brake cable from the caliper reset the caliper back to its fully recessed position, reassembled the brake, and spun the wheel. There was no rubbing or binding so I started the car and hit the brake pedal a few times after which there was significant binding. The wheel would only spin about 1 rotation.

I'm now at a dead end in my troubleshooting procedure and wondering if someone can point me to a next step.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:46 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
The cable moves easy? Did you replace the whole caliper? All i can think of is there is something wrong with the master brake cylinder to that brake line, something in the line?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-29-2017, 09:56 AM
jux
Neutral
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
The cable moves easy? Did you replace the whole caliper? All i can think of is there is something wrong with the master brake cylinder to that brake line, something in the line?
Thanks for the reply.

The cable moves easy for a parking brake cable, from working on other cars it doesn't seem to be excessive. When attaching it the caliper it pulls the spring loaded lever around 5 degrees.

I replaced the entire caliper, bracket and slide pins.

I failed to mention that I thought something like you're thinking in that the master brake cylinder could be creating pressure in the lines and not releasing it. To check this I put the brakes into the rubbing condition and then opened up the bleed valve thinking that if there was built up pressure I would have brake fluid shooting out. Nothing came out during this experiment.

Last edited by jux; 12-29-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:08 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
The parking cable is cursed and haunted...lol Your MINI wants to e-brake all the time.

I would check that tension and adjustment on the parking cable again. Double check with this thread.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...in-an-r53.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-29-2017, 10:30 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
the rear pads for a GEN1 have clips that fit into a groove on the end of the caliper piston. If you don't get these clips in the groove the pad will ride on these clips and a new pad is then about 1/16 or more too thick ....

Did you seat the clips properly?

back side of GEN1 rear ... note the clips ... they should grab 3 sides of the piston ... if the piston rides on top of these it can cause a new pad to drag

(ignore the circle - it was the answer to a different question!)

Old 12-29-2017, 10:42 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
the rear pads for a GEN1 have clips that fit into a groove on the end of the caliper piston. If you don't get these clips in the groove the pad will ride on these clips and a new pad is then about 1/16 or more too thick ....

back side of GEN1 rear ... note the clips ... they should grab 3 sides of the piston ... if the piston rides on top of these it can cause a new pad to drag

That's a very good idea...

Old 12-29-2017, 11:05 AM
jux
Neutral
Originally Posted by Capt_bj

Thanks for this. I believe I did but those clips don't easily go into the groove. It seems half the time I get the clips seated into the groove by the time I get the caliper with the pad over the rotor the brake pad pops out. It would be nice to have a little step up in that spring so that the edge of the spring can get past the lip of the groove and seat correctly without fuss.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:45 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by jux
Thanks for this. I believe I did but those clips don't easily go into the groove. It seems half the time I get the clips seated into the groove by the time I get the caliper with the pad over the rotor the brake pad pops out. It would be nice to have a little step up in that spring so that the edge of the spring can get past the lip of the groove and seat correctly without fuss.
I usually slide the pad down into the clip rather than try to snap it in place. Once I slide the pad in, it stays in place if the piston is compressed sufficiently.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:02 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Going to move you to the Stock Problems/Issues area.

Perhaps dumb, but did you paint the calipers??

Old 12-30-2017, 10:55 AM
jux
Neutral
Originally Posted by r53coop
Going to move you to the Stock Problems/Issues area.

Perhaps dumb, but did you paint the calipers??
No, I wish it was that simple. I worked on it some more today taking advice that I learned from this thread. It's still doing it but here is what I did to try and locate it.

1.) Checked visually to make sure the pad clips were in the grove on the caliper piston. They are.
2.) Removed the caliper/pads and left the parking brake cable on. Reset the piston and reassembled.
3.) Rotor turns freely. Turned the car on, pump the brakes and the caliper is stuck again.
4.) While in stuck condition opened the bleeder valve and getting brake fluid movement at what I would expect the rate of gravity. Wasn't streaming out.
5.) Closed the bleeder valve and removed the parking brake cable
6.) Removed the caliper, reset the piston and reassembled without the parking brake cable.
7.) Rotor turns freely. Turned the car on, pump the brakes and the caliper is stuck again.

I can see that that piston extends maybe 1/8 inch after reassembling and pumping the brakes, It just doesn't go back. Strange thing is the brakes seemed to work fine before replacing the pads. I bought the car used and it is the first time I changed the pads on this car but this is not my first time around the pad changing rodeo. Probably 20 brake pad/rotor changes over my life.