Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Mechanical issues with the Cooper and Cooper S.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 11:40 AM
tsprayfhs
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In fairly high g corners, you can hear a tapping or clicking sound from the rear of the car and on the outside of the turn. This was also reportrd by several mags. but they never solved it. The stops on the lifts for the package shelf are the problem. They can hit the side panels. You simply put up with it or wrap them in something softer (quiter). I have informed MINI USA. cheap fix. We'll see what they do.

motor on

Old 11-25-2002, 07:51 AM
JohnW
4th Gear
Creaky Steering anyone?

I have noticed lately that there are sometimes some creaking sounds when I turn the wheel at low speeds. And I'm not talking about the whine from the power-assisted steering -- this is different.
I think someone here mentioned they had to get their steering arms replaced under warranty.

Anyone else noticing this?

Old 11-25-2002, 10:05 AM
Motorthis
2nd Gear
I just started to notice the creaky steering the last couple of days. When I'm going around 5mph while making a U turn, it almost sounds like something is hitting or rubbing the tire or wheel well. I only have about 800 miles on my mini.

Old 11-25-2002, 11:56 AM
bagpiper
2nd Gear
Couple of things... I've had my car since March 29th.. 7500 miles as of now...
1. Both seat backs (passenger and driver) would only stay in one position.. all the way back. ok if I was driving a HONDA civic with the big muffler....
2. Window on the drivers side does not "crack a little" when I open the door.. so now it's hard to close sometimes... any ideas?

Old 11-26-2002, 06:58 PM
ZAKdog
4th Gear
>>Couple of things... I've had my car since March 29th.. 7500 miles as of now...
>>1. Both seat backs (passenger and driver) would only stay in one position.. all the way back. ok if I was driving a HONDA civic with the big muffler....
>>2. Window on the drivers side does not "crack a little" when I open the door.. so now it's hard to close sometimes... any ideas?
>>
>>
Try turning the car on...roll the windows all the way down and then back up...turn the car off...that worked on mine

Old 11-27-2002, 05:54 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same thing happened to me once, ZaKdog. My window must have been down by some imperceptible amount and the "little crack" feature didn't work. I figured I must have somehow bumped the toggle. After fully closing the window it worked again. bagpiper, I hope its this easy!

Old 11-27-2002, 05:59 AM
JohnW
4th Gear
Or...
when you have the window up, hold the switch in the UP position for 5 seconds, and this resets the 'stop' level for the window, and gets the 'inch up/down' working properly again.

Old 12-02-2002, 12:57 PM
C4
Banned
>>Creaky Steering anyone?
>>
>>I have noticed lately that there are sometimes some creaking sounds when I turn the wheel at low speeds. And I'm not talking about the whine from the power-assisted steering -- this is different.
>>I think someone here mentioned they had to get their steering arms replaced under warranty.
>>
>>Anyone else noticing this?
>>

I think I am having the same clicks and clunks at low speeds (Parking, parallel parking, etc). However, this problem does not seem to be negatively affecting the steering system in any way, shape or form.

Thinking back, I might had these clunks for a good while now, but never paid attention to them until I read your post.

I don't think I am going to bother with it unless it gets real bad. Replacing the steering column with the same exact part I doubt it will the problem go away for good.

Old 12-02-2002, 01:54 PM
kesh420
4th Gear
CREAKING FIX !!!

The steering creak is a bearing at the end of the steering assy. It is not the rack or the post itself (first 2 parts orders from Mini). Mini thought it was the post, replaced the post and found out it's a bearing (now on order). Another day w/o the Cooper S!

Have your dealer contact Mini Technician Peter Coke at Global Imports in Atlanta 678-569-7550 for more details on what is actually broken and how to fix it so you don't have to go Mini-less for 4 days.

Kesh

Old 12-02-2002, 02:43 PM
C4
Banned
>>CREAKING FIX !!!
>>
>>The steering creak is a bearing at the end of the steering assy. It is not the rack or the post itself (first 2 parts orders from Mini). Mini thought it was the post, replaced the post and found out it's a bearing (now on order). Another day w/o the Cooper S!
>>
>>Have your dealer contact Mini Technician Peter Coke at Global Imports in Atlanta 678-569-7550 for more details on what is actually broken and how to fix it so you don't have to go Mini-less for 4 days.
>>
>>Kesh
>>
>>

Kesh:

Thanks so much for passing the info along.

When you say "Post" are you referring to the steering column assembly itself?

Owners that have had the 'creaking' steering problem have reported to have either the steering column assembly, steering rack assembly or both replaced at the same time.

Are the bearings replaceable without having to also replace the steering column assembly?

I have also read other posts related to the problem that state that the problem can only be fixed by replacing the entire steering column assembly.

How long does the repair take?

Any other details/info are truly appreciated.

Delived 9/7/02: '02 MINI Cooper, Pepper White, Black roof and mirrors, CVT, Multifunction Steering wheel, 8-Spoke 15" Wheels, STD black leatherette seats with Silver Gray door panels, STD painted bumpers (No Chrome accents). Having lots of fun!!!!

Old 12-02-2002, 03:42 PM
kesh420
4th Gear
Post = Column

There is apparently a bearing at the end of this that has failed. The "rack assembly" and coupling that go through the firewall are fine it's just a bearing.

This is how it was explained to me. I had the whole 9 yards replaced before they found it was the bearing all along. Can you imagine how many times I've been back for the same issue... argh ?
Have the dealer order the part it takes 2 days to arrive. In most cases the dealer will make you bring your car to diagnose the problem (one day and then 2 days for the part to arrive and another day to fix). I still have to tke mine in to have the bearing installed. I need my car and can't go w/o it for more than a day or 2 at most with no loaner. Rental expense reports 4-6 weeks to re-imburse... it's not worth renting a car.

One positive... Free alignment !

Kesh MCS
Kesh420@yahoo.com

MINI NEEDS TO GIVE LOANERS.
DISCOUNT THE INVOICE PRICE OF NEW MINI's TO THE DEALER AND USE THEIR EXISTING COURTESY CARS FOR WARRANTY ISSUES. SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE... FIND YOUR OWN RIDE !!!

Old 12-03-2002, 05:46 PM
Motorthis
2nd Gear
OK new problem...When I turned on my MCS tonight for a short trip, the Tire Pressure Monitor light and DSC light were both lit on my dash. When I looked at the manual it stated that if the light is not flashing and contiously lit, it means the gauge is defective. My tire pressure is fine in all tires and I can't turn off the DSC anymore using the switch.

Anyone else had this problem? Any input or advice would be appreciated before I decide to take the car to the dealer.

Thanks.

02 mini cooper s, pure silver, black top and bonnet stripes, 17" wheels

Old 12-04-2002, 07:59 AM
Motorthis
2nd Gear
I forgot to mention, the car is only 5 weeks old and has 870 miles on it.

Old 12-04-2002, 08:54 AM
Pamlico
3rd Gear
The steadily illuminated tire pressure and DSC lights are a relatively common problem and may have some sort of association with the presence of water (e.g. car washed, etc). Try resetting the pressure monitor following the procedure detailed in the owner's manual. A number of owners (myself included) have 'fixed' this problem by resetting.

If that doesn't do it try searching this site. The topic has also been covered at mini2.com.

Good luck

Old 12-04-2002, 09:11 AM
Nobull60
6th Gear
I've notice after driving the car a little hard after you turn off the engine it makes a couple of short thud sounds from under the bonnett. Any clue? Is it just the heat from the metal or something to that effect?

Old 12-04-2002, 09:14 AM
Pamlico
3rd Gear
You're right. It's the sounds made while the car is cooling off. Different from the higher pitched sounds associated with cooling on other cars.

>>I've notice after driving the car a little hard after you turn off the engine it makes a couple of short thud sounds from under the bonnett. Any clue? Is it just the heat from the metal or something to that effect?

Old 12-05-2002, 09:45 PM
username
2nd Gear
This is a little off topic, but:

Maybe the wizards who have provided us this wonderful site (and I am working on recommendatiosn to revise the stylesheets, I promise!) to extend this fine section with some polls.

There would be some validation issues (members only to trust results, checking that no one voted twice), but it might be a handy way for people to check against problems they are having. We could start with well known, specific problems (coolant, DSC/Tire lights, etc.) and then have general categories, and it could require model, milage, build date, etc. Then when people coming looking (I just noticed ocracoke commenting on the dummy light issue going on in a seperate thead, but no one has comment on the cross posting) for problems, they could at least see in raw numbers if they are happening to others.

Real cool details like allowing someone voting to link to a discusson thread, that would be way cool.

Old 12-06-2002, 10:28 AM
C4
Banned
>>This is a little off topic, but:
>>
>>Maybe the wizards who have provided us this wonderful site (and I am working on recommendatiosn to revise the stylesheets, I promise!) to extend this fine section with some polls.
>>
>>There would be some validation issues (members only to trust results, checking that no one voted twice), but it might be a handy way for people to check against problems they are having. We could start with well known, specific problems (coolant, DSC/Tire lights, etc.) and then have general categories, and it could require model, milage, build date, etc. Then when people coming looking (I just noticed ocracoke commenting on the dummy light issue going on in a seperate thead, but no one has comment on the cross posting) for problems, they could at least see in raw numbers if they are happening to others.
>>
>>Real cool details like allowing someone voting to link to a discusson thread, that would be way cool.
>>

You can currently setup your own polls in MINI2.com

Old 12-17-2002, 06:11 PM
LeeJones
1st Gear
I've had my 03 MCS for about three weeks now and have noticed only three or four things that need attention.
One - the damn gearshift **** comes off on any quick shifts to 2nd or 4th.
Two - there is a rattle on decellerating from 40 or more MPH that sounds like the exhause system (it goes aay if you put the clutch in or press on the gas again). Two and a half There is a clunk sound from the right rear on initial starting out (may be the exhaust again)
Three - the excellent Xenon lights are pointed about 15 feet in front of the car and are retty useless - the high beams are pinted at the same point and are only marginally better.

I can't wait until I finish rebuilding my 67 Cooper 1275 S and I can have them side by side to compare. I plan on respraying the 67 the same Indy Blue metallic with white roof and wheels as the 03.

Lee

Old 12-18-2002, 09:05 AM
4GAZM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well i have owned my cooper s for bout 3 months now bought it sep. 20 with 4 miles on it, now it has 14750 miles on it and the only problem ive had is a vibration in the clock area above my head, but that could be from the sub ! and the boot

but im having the dealer look at it hear monday.

i dont know how ive racked so many miles but every one has been enjoyed !!!!
by the way you guys are right about the boot not wanting to shut with the keyless entry, it does shut otherwise. just not with the auto open so ill have them check that to.

Old 12-18-2002, 09:09 AM
2minis
6th Gear
My coolant tank is leaking and so are lots of others. I emailed
MINIUSA 2 days ago and no response from them but their site
does have some cool graphics.....not what I need though. :evil:

Old 12-24-2002, 12:38 AM
Hernan
Neutral
Nope, sorry to say the brake dust problem stays... 10,000 miles and I need to get up tomorrow and wash my black rims that should be silver. It's been only a few days since the last wash... This is a bmw problem, however, I've looked at a lot of 3-series and they all seem to have the same brake dust.

Old 12-24-2002, 12:41 AM
Hernan
Neutral
>>Creaky Steering anyone?
>>
>>I have noticed lately that there are sometimes some creaking sounds when I turn the wheel at low speeds. And I'm not talking about the whine from the power-assisted steering -- this is different.
>>I think someone here mentioned they had to get their steering arms replaced under warranty.
>>
>>Anyone else noticing this?
>>

Yes, at about 9k miles, mine is more like a popping sound that's got me concerned... will see what the dealer tells me

Old 12-31-2002, 09:31 PM
baldrichguy
Neutral
Glove Box Failure

The latch inside the glove box unlatches when the car hits a bump in the pavement. Under proper conditions, it will latch and stay while the car is parked. The latch is plastic, not adjustable, and the cure is a whole new glove box cover ($145; covered under warranty). Not to mention a week's wait and another 150 mile (each way) trip to the dealer (Momentum in Houston), who observed two such failures this past week alone. Why can't the dealers carry the spare part for a recurrent problem?

Old 01-06-2003, 04:12 PM
jace_ca
Neutral
I had the exact same thing happen to me when I tried that the first time. Next time I was at the dealer, I had them program the key fob to drop all the windows and roof instead. I think this will be more usefull.

Quick Reply: Mechanical issues with the Cooper and Cooper S.