Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Stuttering and EML

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018 | 09:57 AM
Bcranvey
|
Neutral
Stuttering and EML

Hi guys,

long term lurker, first time poster.

Had a lot of issues with the cooper S since I bought it 2 years ago, so very used to searching forums for an answer. However, this one has me baffled on where to start.

Ive basically started getting a random EML which says reduced power and the car ending up in limp mode. Since then, I sometimes get an increased emmisons caption. Car is a N18 model R56 with 40k miles.

Often i can drive the car normally, but there is a noticeable flat spot at 3-4K whether I’m in limp mode or not!

These symptoms can often be stopped after I’ve driven the car for a few miles and it’s warm. What I do is switch the car off at the lights, turn it back on and then carry on, car pulls as normal.

I obviously am am aware of the HPFP being the culprit, but want to spend as little as possible sorting this issue out. (Handing he car back in April).

So, what could I check? I’ve heard of o2 sensors, turbo boost sensor and the HPFP causing this issue. could anyone point out a good starting point to change or inspect components, obviously cheapest first!

Thanks guys.

Old 01-15-2018 | 06:45 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
I think you have to look at the service record and see what is due like spark plugs, air filter...etc.

When I used to get these kind of issue on my minis, I decided to carry my OBD reader and as soon as the CEL comes one, i plug and scan for errors.