Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Knock Sensor Codes P13AE and P13B8

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 11:22 AM
smokeysevin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knock Sensor Codes P13AE and P13B8

Like the title says, I just got these two codes. Other than their description I can't find much on them, any idea where to start?

Knock Sensor Codes:

P13AE - Knock sensor, electrical: Signal input 'A', short circuit to ground

P13B8 - Knock sensor, electrical: Signal input 'B', short circuit to ground

For background, the car has recently had the following replaced

Water pump
Water pipe
Coolant tank cap
n18 oil pump solenoid "fix"
Intake (DDM Race)
Intake pipe (FORGE motorsports pipe)
Intercooler (Ebay)
Intake manifold gaskets (OEM)
all cooling hoses (Silicone HPS)
Oil cooler (a bypassed the stock one using adapter plate and am using a 11 row -10an)
spark plugs (ngk)
hpfp (Newest version)
vacuum pump (OEM)
clutch (OEM)
throwout bearing
flywheel (JMTC)
thermostat gasket (OEM)
belt
Oil pressure sensor and gasket (OEM)
Both crank seals

Outside of that I also have a FORGE DV+ with the heavier spring

No other cel's except for the vanos solenoid which was dirty and the cam position sensor which was fixed when I cleaned the sensor and connector.

Sean

Old 02-21-2018, 06:32 PM
smokeysevin
2nd Gear
Just to update, I pulled the knock sensor off the car, cleared the codes and ran it around the block a few times, the code that came up was not the short code but rather P0327 - Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Low (Bank 1 or Single Sensor) which was makes sense due to the sensor not being there. I reinstalled the sensor, cleared the codes, and went around the block a few times again and the code came back as the P13AE P13B8 combo.

I have since pulled the intake manifold off and gone through the harness under there and can find no faults or broken wires.

I pulled the ecu plugs off and checked for oil and found none there which is good.

I have a new sensor coming on Friday, is there anything I should check in the meantime? I am running out of ideas.

Thanks,

Sean

Old 02-21-2018, 09:40 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Good debug process.

If you have a multimeter, check the resistance across the terminals of the sensor, and from each terminal to the metal part of the sensor body. If you measure 0 (or close to it) then the new sensor should fix the problem. Is it possible that it got damaged during all the work?

Old 02-22-2018, 05:50 AM
smokeysevin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by squawSkiBum
Good debug process.

If you have a multimeter, check the resistance across the terminals of the sensor, and from each terminal to the metal part of the sensor body. If you measure 0 (or close to it) then the new sensor should fix the problem. Is it possible that it got damaged during all the work?
Thanks for the reply, I did check resistance between the terminals as well as between each terminal and the sensor contact. I got more than 0 ohms.I

I left the battery ground off overnight and am going to check the car in a few minutes to see if that helped.

The only other thread I saw the second code referenced in was in regards to a battery learning procedure. I had replaced my battery probably 3 months ago but had no issue at that time.

UPDATE: the disconnected battery did not fix the problem.

Sean

Last edited by smokeysevin; 02-22-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:55 PM
smokeysevin
2nd Gear
I sent Denis a PM a few days ago and asked about what caused the code in this thread.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-and-2d8e.html

it turns out that Denis's problem was caused by a loose airbox that was vibrating. I have noticed that my box is doing the same thing. I have a replacement stock lower airbox coming in next week to replace my "custom" emergency-fab lower that I built to attach my ddm works intake to. This could be the problem.

I also have a replacement knock sensor which arrived yesterday that I will be testing this weekend.

Sean

Last edited by smokeysevin; 02-23-2018 at 02:56 PM. Reason: speeling es herd
Old 02-23-2018, 11:49 PM
squawSkiBum
That's really interesting! The knock sensor is essentially a microphone tuned to respond to a specific range of frequencies, so it seems possible that something loose and vibrating at the right rate could cause a problem. Let us know what you find.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:15 AM
DenisMcG
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I had forgotten about my post until the PM from smokeysevin. The entire air intake system in my base model was rattling significantly. I tightened the airbox and secured the intake pipes. The code has not returned.

The following users liked this post:
smokeysevin (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 04:49 PM
smokeysevin
2nd Gear
Just to update:

The replacement knock sensor arrived last Thursday and I installed it Saturday morning. The problem seems to have gone away, I was able to put 30ish miles on the car without any codes which is much different than the previous times.

I have no idea what caused the sensor to die or how it never showed a short using my multi-meter. I will update if anything changes. Overall I am happy that it was a cheap fix.

Sean

Old 02-25-2018, 10:56 PM
squawSkiBum
glad you got it fixed, and thanks for posting the resolution to the problem!