Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Stroker

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004 | 07:19 PM
Pebblecrusher
|
4th Gear
Stroker

Might be a stupid question, but then I am somewhat ignorant when it comes to engines. "Stroker engine" refers to a longer stroke of the pistons right? This usually involves a camshaft change among other things. So would folks with the Schrick Camshaft call their MINIs a Stroker MINI?

Old 10-27-2004 | 07:36 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Pebblecrusher - you've the principles right, but the terms are confused:

Crankshaft, connects the engine output to the Connecting Rods
Connecting Rods, connects crankshaft to the Pistons
Pistons, with rings around them, are what get pushed on during combustion
Cylinder, what the pistons are housed within
Engine Block - what the crank, rods and pistons are housed in
Cylinder Head - contains the Valvetrain, bolts to the Block
Valves - sit face-to-face with the Pistons and allow intake charge and exhaust spent gases
Rockers - levers that open the valves
Camshaft - a series of lobes in one stick of metal that pushes on the rockers

The Schrick cams have greater lift and duration, which means the lobes push [the rockers and subsequently] the valves open further, for longer. This allows more air/fuel in and more exhaust out - effectively making more power.

You are right in your definition of A "stroker". It is generally referred to an engine that has a crankshaft with a longer stroke - in that it moves the piston a greater distance than stock. The items you'd have to change (typically) to make a stroker engine work is a different crank, rods, and pistons, as well as any potential machining to allow clearance in the block for the greater throw.

I hope that helps!
Ryan

Old 10-28-2004 | 04:35 AM
Pebblecrusher
|
4th Gear
Ahh, figures I'd confuse camshaft with crankshaft. I caught a show once where they modified an engine to be a stroker, and they did quite a few things. Obviously they changed the crackshaft, but I know I saw them change the camshaft as well (it is fairly distinctive looking). They also added a piece to the cylinder head to allow for a greater stroke, and new pistons to improve compression.

Anyways, was curious about it. Thanks for clearing it up.