Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Broken Midlands Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 01:54 PM
rob_lewis
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Broken Midlands Question

2004 Cooper (200k miles). Supposedly the transmission was rebuilt two years ago. Leaving a light, no forward motion in any of the gears. No real noise or anything, just "went". Hoped it was the clutch or something, but it was not.

I saw that no forward motion was a common failure on the Midlands, but no information on what the actual problem is other than a full rebuild. None of the gears look bad or are broken.

Could it be the diff? Now that i have the main case off, I'm just curious what to look for to confirm what's broken.

I know, I know, it's easier and faster to stick in a good used one (do they exist?) or do the 6-speed swap. And, I may end up doing that, but it's really a project car, so I'm not in a rush to get it back on the road. Plus, gives me a chance to do my first transmission rebuild. That's about the only thing I've never done on a car.

-Rob

Old 03-19-2018, 03:58 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Detroit Tuned and Way Motors are vendors here that also have their own full service repair shops, perhaps one of them will chime in here.