Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

R56 need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018 | 07:46 PM
Pramuk
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
There are some very good tutorials right here.

Here is one to get you started.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...right-way.html
Thanks so much

Old 04-02-2018 | 02:04 PM
Pramuk
|
3rd Gear
Finally I took to new European shop, they open head and see what they found.......

Old 04-02-2018 | 03:00 PM
MiniCooper_S
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Pramuk
Finally I took to new European shop, they open head and see what they found.......

Timing chain guides go out pretty often on these things and can definiteley cause rough idle and random misfires. Unfortunately this doesn’t seem to be your main issue since only one of the cylinders had low compression.

Old 04-02-2018 | 03:01 PM
MiniCooper_S
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniCooper_S

Timing chain guides go out pretty often on these things and can definiteley cause rough idle and random misfires. Unfortunately this doesn’t seem to be your main issue since only one of the cylinders had low compression.
If your timing was the only thing screwed up you’d have lower compression in all cylinders not just the one.

Old 04-02-2018 | 03:23 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
I would have them/yourself install a new tensioner, install a new upper guide, reset the timing and then redo compression test.

The point is to recreate "normal" operation to verify compression numbers.

Old 04-02-2018 | 03:24 PM
Pramuk
|
3rd Gear

If your timing was the only thing screwed up you’d have lower compression in all cylinders not just the one.
It would be hard times. Shop will replace timing chain and guides

Old 04-02-2018 | 03:26 PM
Pramuk
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
I would have them/yourself install a new tensioner, install a new upper guide, reset the timing and then redo compression test.

The point is to recreate "normal" operation to verify compression numbers.
Do they need to replace timing chain as well?

Old 04-02-2018 | 03:37 PM
Pramuk
|
3rd Gear

You mean... it would be another issue cause Cy3 low compression?

Old 04-02-2018 | 07:27 PM
MiniCooper_S
3rd Gear
You mean... it would be another issue cause Cy3 low compression?
The timing chain replacement cost is going to be around $500-$1200 or more depending on the shop. You might be throwing your money away if the cylinder, valves or pistons are toast. Have them find out for sure whether there is anything wrong with the cylinder or pistons before committing to the timing chain.

Old 04-02-2018 | 07:50 PM
MiniCooper_S
3rd Gear
If only one cylinder has extremely low compression it would have nothing to do with timing. Timing affects all cylinders equally. The job of a timing chain is simply to make sure the valves open at the right time. The crankshaft turns the timing chain which turns your intake and exhaust camshafts. These camshafts have lobes on them that basically push your intake and exhaust valves open at different times in the combustion cycle. All intake valves are connected by the intake camshaft and all exhaust valves are connected by the exhaust camshaft. Both camshafts are connected by a chain to the crankshaft. Therefore one cylinder could not have a valve stuck open causing compression loss due to timing without all other cylinders being affected.

cylinder, piston, valve or ring.
Scored cylinder
cracked piston
damaged or obliterated piston ring
Burnt valve
damaged or dried out head gasket (doesn’t seem likely with such low compression)
Cracked head

Old 04-02-2018 | 07:57 PM
MiniCooper_S
3rd Gear
Also labor for valves, rebuilds etc overlaps since the timing chain would have to be removed for that anyways so if it’s that you’d get a new timing chain and save several hundred on labor.

Old 04-02-2018 | 08:04 PM
Pramuk
|
3rd Gear
Also labor for valves, rebuilds etc overlaps since the timing chain would have to be removed for that anyways so if it’s that you’d get a new timing chain and save several hundred on labor.

I will have mechanic check all before they put the head back. Hopefully will not have any damages on piston, engine block or valve.

Old 04-03-2018 | 06:31 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
my suggestion was as such to recheck compression since the first shop proved to be "fishy" with their dealings.

did the second shop do compression test again and gave you the same numbers?

let them scope it as minicooper_s is suggesting. also, let them verify if the timing has move (skipped)

Old 04-05-2018 | 07:13 PM
Pramuk
|
3rd Gear
Timing chain, guide and tensioner need to be replaced for at least $2k.

Also they took apart my cylinder valve checking leak down and redo compression test each cylinder again. Cylinder 3 extremely low and they will use

scope to check inside tomorrow if have any damages at cylinder wall or piston rings and see if they can fix it or not.

How possible I will need new motor or new block ?

Old 04-05-2018 | 08:24 PM
MiniCooper_S
3rd Gear

Also they took apart my cylinder valve checking leak down and redo compression test each cylinder again. Cylinder 3 extremely low and they will use

scope to check inside tomorrow if have any damages at cylinder wall or piston rings and see if they can fix it or not.

How possible I will need new motor or new block ?
It depends on what they find with the borescope.

Best case scenario: everything looks good in the cylinder and you simply need new valves which would require pulling the head to verify with a valve leak down test and a head rebuild or replacement. $1k+

Worst case scenario: they find a crack in the piston, cylinder walls are scored and rings have failed which would require complete rebuild or replacement. $5k+

This information is not intended to be a substitute for professional automotive diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your mechanic or other qualified automotive provider with any questions about your vehicles mechanical condition.

Old 04-05-2018 | 08:30 PM
MiniCooper_S
3rd Gear
[QUOTE=Pramuk;4380741]Timing chain, guide and tensioner need to be replaced for at least $2k.

How possible I will need new motor or new block ?[/

2k is rediculous for a timing chain, tensioner and guide. Even the dealer in Orlando only charges $1200.

Maybe give these guys a call.

http://northshoremotorwerks.com/mini-cooper-repair/

Old 04-05-2018 | 08:54 PM
Pramuk
|
3rd Gear
[QUOTE=MiniCooper_S;4380755]

How possible I will need new motor or new block ?[/

2k is rediculous for a timing chain, tensioner and guide. Even the dealer in Orlando only charges $1200.

Maybe give these guys a call.

http://northshoremotorwerks.com/mini-cooper-repair/
Thanks so much if they can not do it or the price is unacceptable. I will tow my car over there, but anyway I will give them a call tomorrow morning.

Old 04-06-2018 | 02:04 PM
Pramuk
|
3rd Gear
Probably need a new engine cuz it’s not worth to fix it.

I have N14 engine manual transmission... N18 engine will fit my car? If not, N14 engine from automatic transmission vehicle will fit mine?

How much estimated labor cost I need to pay for engine replacement?

Old 04-06-2018 | 03:17 PM
MiniCooper_S
3rd Gear
Did the car come with any kind of a power train warranty or did you buy it from an individual?

Old 04-06-2018 | 03:21 PM
Pramuk
|
3rd Gear
Did the car come with any kind of a power train warranty or did you buy it from an individual?
I don’t know about train warranty. I bought this car from dealership not private seller.

Old 04-06-2018 | 03:22 PM
MiniCooper_S
3rd Gear
Probably need a new engine cuz it’s not worth to fix it.

I have N14 engine manual transmission... N18 engine will fit my car? If not, N14 engine from automatic transmission vehicle will fit mine?

How much estimated labor cost I need to pay for engine replacement?
An n18 will not readily fit in your car. An n14 is an n14 whether it’s bolted to an automatic or manual and will work in either case. At least $1500-$2000 in labor and a new engine will set you back a pretty penny. You could always rebuild it yourself for around $5k including machining the block and head.

Old 04-06-2018 | 03:25 PM
MiniCooper_S
3rd Gear
If you bought it from a dealership there is a good chance they offer some kind of short term power train warranty buried in your contract. It’s worth taking a look.

Old 04-06-2018 | 03:27 PM
Pramuk
|
3rd Gear

An n18 will not readily fit in your car. An n14 is an n14 whether it’s bolted to an automatic or manual and will work in either case. At least $1500-$2000 in labor and a new engine will set you back a pretty penny. You could always rebuild it yourself for around $5k including machining the block and head.
Its worth to replace the engine. I might save a hundred or thousand $ in this case

Old 04-06-2018 | 03:38 PM
Pramuk
|
3rd Gear
If you bought it from a dealership there is a good chance they offer some kind of short term power train warranty buried in your contract. It’s worth taking a look.
I am not sure they have or not. Will take a look again

Old 04-06-2018 | 07:32 PM
MiniCooper_S
3rd Gear
Its worth to replace the engine. I might save a hundred or thousand $ in this case
The $1500-$2000 would be for labor only. You’d still have to buy a new engine for around $5000. Rebuilding yourself would be the most cost effective option especially if you have tools but would take the most time.

Quick Reply: R56 need help