Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

04 R50 won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 11:17 PM
Nemesis342
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 R50 won’t start

What’s up everyone, I recently got into the mini game and got me a 04 r50, the guy said he went to a gas station to get gas and afterwords it wouldn’t start back up, he had it towed and that’s how I got it for a few hundred bucks, everything I do to it doesn’t help any, it turns over and you can hear it sputtering like it’s trying to start every once in awhile but mostly it’s just trying to turn over, after putting about 400 dollars into it with no avail and seems to be wasting it on stuff that it doesn’t need, I need some help lol

i have changed all the plugs and wires and the ignition coil pack, I used a compression tester but it was junk so I returned it ( oriellys rental) and got a fuel pressure tester, it was showing when priming about 37 and trying to start was 48 so today I bought a new fuel pump figureing that had to be the problem, well it still won’t start, we have tried spraying ether in it to get it to start and on the first day I had it, it ran for a few minutes roughly with the throttle pushed down a little then finally started to have a huge miss and died and now won’t start back up on ether at all. I read that it could be some kind of temp sensor and to see if it is would be to unplug it and if it starts it’s the sensor but it doesn’t start plugged in or out.

All of the the lights and gauges work it just seems like it’s not getting fire or something, I have also had it on a battery charger and it still won’t start, I’m running out of ideas (and money) so if somebody could help or atleast point me towards the right direction on what it could be I’d be greatly appreciative, thank you!

Old 04-22-2018, 05:36 AM
Minidogger
4th Gear
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
You could pull valve cover & check timing chain / tensioner.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:38 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Going to move you to the Stock Problems/Issues area.

Any codes thrown? Is there spark to the plugs? How many miles? What was the compression? Did you pull the valve cover to see if the timing marks line up?

There is one question that can never be answered, WHY? Most would reply Why What, which itself is a question not an answer. In you instance you need to provide information otherwise the answers are just darts being thrown at a board.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:16 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
possibly fuel pump failure, but as whine not Walnuts says, we need more info. (codes), compression, etc.

Old 04-23-2018, 01:11 PM
Nemesis342
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, first off thanks for the answers and I’ll try to answer the best I can.

its throwing one code but I don’t remember what it is so tonight when I get off work I will find it out and post a reply with what it is, the compression tester I rented wasn’t any count it showed 0 then 60 then 120 it was inconsistent so I didn’t trust it but if you put your hand over the whole it will blow it off so it’s getting compression just don’t know the exact numbers.

it has 18xxxx miles on it, just replaced the fuel pump with a brand new one and you can hear it prime and I primed it about 20 times before starting, fuel is spraying out of the fuel rail and its getting spark to the plugs I have a tester and tested them but went ahead and put brand new ones and wires in it anyway, when I got it to start for a few minutes when I first got it, it ran fine and didn’t act like it was out of time or anything but I will pull the valve cover and double check that as well and will let you all know something soon, any other questions to help figure this out I will answer to the best of my knowledge thank you