Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Oil can light

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 10:21 AM
RonHarris
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil can light

Hello all..
I purchased a 2011 Cooper S a couple month ago, everything was great for about 1k miles then the oil can light would kick on for a sec and go out ( happed on flat straight road). Of course the first time I shut it down checking oil levels and obvious reasons why, all was good. I took the car to the dealer who told me best guess was that it was the filter used by the last owner was causing the issue and changed oil and filter to Mini brand and pushed it out the door. Well that lasted a couple hundred miles and now once the car gets to temp the light will cycle on and off at will. I did purchase a scan gauge so I could see pressures/Temp and pressure always seem to be at least in the 30s even after temp is up to normal.. When I talk the dealership again, they just want you to bring in so they can hit you with the high shop rate just to guess.. I have checked wire rubbing, without any issue noted.. I did speak with previous owner who not tells that that this has happed a few times before but blew it off... Would of been nice to know that little piece of info prior to purchase...

I am thinking Pressure sensor bad or oil filter housing bypass allowing pressure to bypass once up to temp.. Any other ideas from the forum??

Thanks in advance.
Ron

Old 04-30-2018, 09:01 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 432 Likes on 398 Posts
i wish there is a way you can go back to the dealer and throw the parts in their face and get a refund...

now that's out of the way, when you start the car and let it run for a bit, open the oil cap and see if oil is actually running in the head. if so, replace the sensor. My countryman S in addition to other electrical issues, had a faulty oil pressure sensor. it is cheap and easy to replace.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/r...splay/DjoKYWkK

Old 05-17-2018, 07:11 PM
RonHarris
1st Gear
Well, I replaced the pressure with no Joy.. At various points, once eng is up to operating temp the oil can light will come on and go off once you get off the gas. Watching the scan gauge the pressure never goes below 34 PSI.. You can rev the motor in the driveway ( once eng temp is up) and make the light come on as well again pressure is still above 34psi... One thing of note.. when the light starts coming on and off, the pressure doesn't drop below 34ish, but it doesn't go up to 50+ either..... Does anyone know about a technical service bulletin TSB# 11 06 15 NHTSA# 10059098, this has something to do with eng fault and oil pressure….
I am stumped and looking for suggestions folks.....

Old 05-17-2018, 10:06 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
How many miles on the car?

There was a TSB for a problem with the oil pressure solenoid located in the oil pan, I remember mine was changed under warranty. Do you have the service records on the car? I expect the dealer would have seen if that had been taken care of.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:28 AM
RonHarris
1st Gear
Thanks for the reply squawSkiBum, I have 89,234 on the car... Sure seems like either the solenoid or maybe the bypass in the oil filter housing... Lot of expense to guess and the dealer is pretty much useless unless you want to pay them to Troubleshoot.. There has to be someone out there that has seen this issue. Ron

Old 05-18-2018, 01:23 PM
squawSkiBum
See attached doc for information on the solenoid. From here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...44680-4717.pdf

For more info, go here: https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls, click Vehicle, enter 2011 Mini (or whatever year and manufacturer you like) and you'll get a list of all the information in the NHTSA database. TSBs are under Manufacturer Communications.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SB-10044680-9784.pdf (281.0 KB, 296 views)
The following users liked this post:
RonHarris (05-18-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 04:44 PM
RonHarris
1st Gear
squawSkiBum

Well I did some research and called the local dealer to inquire about your info and they assured me that non of this applies to my car, but insisted that if I would bring it down they would do further troubleshooting.. FOR A PRICE of course.. Funny thing... I have driven the car for the past few days up to 10 miles each time and two out of the four trips I got no light and they other two, if I was into the throttle at all they light would come on, but Snapscan displayed around 30 psi.. plenty oil on the top end so I really doubt its starving for oil... crazy stuff..

Old 06-06-2018, 05:41 PM
squawSkiBum
The dealer says the TSB doesn't apply to your car? I'd get a second opinion on that, unless the work has already been done.

Old 05-13-2021, 09:33 AM
Jason Lane
1st Gear
Oil pressure light coming on randomly

Having same issue on my 2009 Mini S. I recently rebuilt the motor to fix some other issues. Engine runs strong no real issues other than a P0420 error code coming from the cat/O2 sensor. (Another issue for another post probably)

in any case, I’ve got 135k miles on the engine, although all new gaskets, hoses, etc. new water pump, and turbo as well. I did not replace oil pressure sensor so I might give that a try.

Only seems to come on when the car gets up to operating temp.

I will also try changing the Oil/oil filter and see if that helps. Maybe fresh debris from new piston ring that I put in is clogging filter??

update. I just figured out the oil light is not coming on so random. Once the car heats up it will come on only when it idles below 1k rpm at stops. See video.

Last edited by Jason Lane; 05-13-2021 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:39 PM
JH37k
Neutral
Low oil pressure light

Did anyone figure out why the light comes on when engine reaches temp. I have a mini r56 and I’m having the same issue. Just now my I rebuilt my engine due to bad rings and I changed oil pressure sensor, solenoid and and oil pump just to see if that would fix the issue but nope. Oil pressure light still pops up. Anyone here to help?

Old 06-10-2022, 01:14 PM
cchitko
Neutral
Originally Posted by JH37k
Did anyone figure out why the light comes on when engine reaches temp. I have a mini r56 and I’m having the same issue. Just now my I rebuilt my engine due to bad rings and I changed oil pressure sensor, solenoid and and oil pump just to see if that would fix the issue but nope. Oil pressure light still pops up. Anyone here to help?
Hi. Having similar issue after engine rebuild. Anyone figure out why?

Old 07-20-2023, 01:59 PM
Mini fun
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jason Lane
Having same issue on my 2009 Mini S. I recently rebuilt the motor to fix some other issues. Engine runs strong no real issues other than a P0420 error code coming from the cat/O2 sensor. (Another issue for another post probably)

in any case, I’ve got 135k miles on the engine, although all new gaskets, hoses, etc. new water pump, and turbo as well. I did not replace oil pressure sensor so I might give that a try.

Only seems to come on when the car gets up to operating temp.

I will also try changing the Oil/oil filter and see if that helps. Maybe fresh debris from new piston ring that I put in is clogging filter??

update. I just figured out the oil light is not coming on so random. Once the car heats up it will come on only when it idles below 1k rpm at stops. See video.
Hello
Did you actually ever solved this problem? I am having almoust similar symptons. Already changed oilpump, oil (castrol 5/30)and filter and oilpressure sensor. All good for 1500km when all started again.

I am at vacation and had now drove more than 1000km with light coming on at low revs. No other problems. All works just fine. (Thinking of unplugging that sensor)

The following users liked this post:
giogandola98 (08-02-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 03:57 PM
giogandola98
Neutral
The same for me

Originally Posted by Mini fun
Hello
Did you actually ever solved this problem? I am having almoust similar symptons. Already changed oilpump, oil (castrol 5/30)and filter and oilpressure sensor. All good for 1500km when all started again.

I am at vacation and had now drove more than 1000km with light coming on at low revs. No other problems. All works just fine. (Thinking of unplugging that sensor)
The same for me. Changed oil pump and solenoid