Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

ABS/ASC/Tire Pressure Light Fun CAN BUS Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 03:45 PM
ptkacik
4th Gear
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I disconnected the Tach and EVERYTHING seems better. Rubber Banding CVT almost nonexistant.

However, I'm still puzzled by the water affect. I'll look at that ABS harness.

Thanks,
Peter

Old 12-21-2019, 03:40 AM
Wilsemail1
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ptkacik
I have the Schwaben OBDII Mini scanner. It came up with these codes.

P1739 /not present DME Clutch Solenoid - communication error
P1749 /not present DME Secondary Pressure Actuator - communication error
P1611
P1613/not present DME Serial Communication connection, ASC
5E11 /not present ABS-DSC CAN fault in control unit
5E16 /not present ABS-DSC CAN connection to instrument cluster
5E18 /not present ABS-DSC CAN data fault from DME/DDE
51 (Kombi) Fault in transmission management
67 (Kombi) CAN-bus, no message 1 from Kom2
61 (Kombi) CAN - bus, no communication
60 (Kombi) CAN-bus off

I'll try the tachometer disconnect idea as that is cheaper than throwing parts at it. I'll also go through all of the chassis grounds.

Thanks,
Peter
Okay, here's the next step of progress. I'm sure the battery positive short and perhaps even the water in the harness of the ABS were all contributing factors to the Tach's failure. Yes, all these discussions, as CAN wires being suspect are true. It could be the ABS harness short, as well as one of the modules on the network. If all the CAN wires look good, then disconnecting the correct, broken module would stop all errors except communication errors to the disconnected module....and that turned out to be the Tach.

Old 12-21-2019, 03:16 PM
Wilsemail1
Neutral
*Disconnecting the tach resulting in no codes except for tach link errors, at first. Then, I got ABS errors 5D93 and I think it was 5D91....anyway, I kept resetting them while I was driving. Something like, no accurate wheel speed under 20kph. After about 5 stop and go's, the reset abs module didn't register those two faults, so I went fast and slammed on the brakes and activated the ABS, I did this several times and the faults haven't come back yet........this may be the end, but, I will still be testing.

Old 01-02-2020, 10:30 AM
ptkacik
4th Gear
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
A month later with the tach removed and the problem still hasn't recurred. My wife says it is time to buy a new tach.

Peter

The following users liked this post:
ssoliman (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 05:53 AM
DougO
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow who would have guess the system is so sensitive crazy

Old 04-26-2020, 06:36 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 265 Likes on 211 Posts
Well good news is the tac is a slave it doesn't even require coding just pick up a used one

ssoliman (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 07:04 PM
DougO
1st Gear
Just spent 8 hours checking can bus wire metered end to end and every connector no shorts no opens no grounds replace the TCM and errors are gone WTH it makes no sense

Old 04-27-2020, 05:31 PM
Wilsemail1
Neutral
The problem is the Tach. It's the auxilary part of the instrument cluster and somehow develops some strange surges or shorts in it that send crazy impulses back through the CAN system and register false codes with other systems like ABS, and Instrument Cluster, Transmission Codes that made the CVT Transmission go into Limp-Home Mode and Wheel Sensors, etc. I found a wiring diagram somewhere and all of the circuits effected were downstream of the Tach's CAN lines. Took me a couple of months to figure it out. Got a new tach and all the faults that previously stored, never came back....
Before finding that the Tach was the main problem, the battery positive cable that went to the fuse box was worn through, under the battery and was touching the trans housing. Also found water in the ABS wiring harness the plugs into the ABS Module.....there have been known shorts in CAN wiring in that ABS harness area to also be from worn wiring that shorts...that wasn't the case with mine, however. Perhaps the surges from that battery positive cable shorting, somehow messed up the tach that made it send these crazy signals through the CAN wires. Six months and still no faults came back....that was definitely the problem with mine.

Last edited by Wilsemail1; 04-27-2020 at 05:41 PM.
DougO (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 07:11 PM
DougO
1st Gear
how is the car doing ? i have the same codes check all the wires for damage and water the bus read continuity any ideas ? were did you disconnect the tach i have and 2007 r52
Thanks Doug

Old 04-28-2020, 06:28 PM
DougO
1st Gear
Can Bus issues continued

Today i approached this mess different i connected a meter to one end of the bus at the DME and disconnected one device at a time watching the resistance to ground change hoping to find a short no luck , So i connected the DME and ABS only and started the car no intermittent issues started connecting each module one at a time and checking errors i took the advice of wilsemail1 and left the tach off the only fault is no message from KOM2 scanned running and not no additional faults ran a bunch of tests every thing worked , Drove the car for 45 minutes stopping to check faults no faults WTH a fault tach can leave you stranded oh well i will test more tomorrow a big thanks to pss-autosoft.net the software works great

ssoliman (04-28-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 05:47 AM
DougO
1st Gear
Follow up i disconnected the tach drove the car a few day no issues no can buss codes , reconnected and in less then .5 miles the cars was crippled on the side of the road , i disconnected and drove it two weeks no issues what a dangerous piece of junk , replaced it with a junk yard tach and no issues since 2 months of driving , Next i will figure out how to connect a bypass switch , I have to wounder if this caused my transmission issues requiring me to replace it , I also wounder how many cars went to the crusher due to faulty tachs. ? also while trouble shooting i discovered see attached picture of the tran speed sensor note the outer jacket is very hard to roll back my question is were did the wire insulation go it was not on my bench this also was the case with the one from the junk yard the car was wrecked and the transmission was good

Mini CVT speed sensor

ssoliman (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 06:02 AM
DougO
1st Gear
please describe rubber band effect ?
Thanks Doug in Raleigh