Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Intake Boot Torn

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 09:09 AM
gaylej
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake Boot Torn

I have a 2006 MCS--failed smog yesterday due to a torn intake boot (aka rubber boot?). It is a big tear. I contacted MINI service and was quoted $145 plus tax to repair. Whew! I was wondering if I should duct tape it to run an errand that is five miles round trip. I Googled this and a response on Reddit said it's okay unless you have a turbo charged engine! Now, I'm not sure if I should duct tape it, drive it until I can get it repaired...the part has to be ordered, or not drive it except to drive for the repair. Does anyone have experience trying to use duct tape for a couple of drives? I normally go to MINI for service but the Big-O-Tires garage nearby said they can do this work so I am thinking about ordering the part myself and having Big-O install it since they are much closer and I will save money. This appears to be an easy job but I have run into issues in the past the few times I didn't go to MINI for service! Thank you...I searched the forums for a while but did not find what I am looking for. MINI owners are the BEST and always very helpful.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:26 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Moving you to the Gen1 Stock Problems/Issues areas area.

Might be better off with some of that tape that has fiberglass strands/strings in it.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:52 AM
smi2710
2nd Gear
i had to replace ours as well. I found one from a facebook mini page and they shipped to me for a total of 20$$ all said in done and had my wife install it. It took 10 minutes to install. Also if your car through a check engine light. keep in mind you have to drive about a 100 miles to set your car in readiness mode before taking it back to inspection. Otherwise you will fail again most likely

Old 05-09-2018, 11:15 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by gaylej
I have a 2006 MCS--failed smog yesterday due to a torn intake boot (aka rubber boot?). It is a big tear. I contacted MINI service and was quoted $145 plus tax to repair. Whew! I was wondering if I should duct tape it to run an errand that is five miles round trip. I Googled this and a response on Reddit said it's okay unless you have a turbo charged engine! Now, I'm not sure if I should duct tape it, drive it until I can get it repaired...the part has to be ordered, or not drive it except to drive for the repair. Does anyone have experience trying to use duct tape for a couple of drives? I normally go to MINI for service but the Big-O-Tires garage nearby said they can do this work so I am thinking about ordering the part myself and having Big-O install it since they are much closer and I will save money. This appears to be an easy job but I have run into issues in the past the few times I didn't go to MINI for service! Thank you...I searched the forums for a while but did not find what I am looking for. MINI owners are the BEST and always very helpful.
Do they look under the hood for a smog test? Was the engine light on before you went to get it smoged? What WtW said about the tape. The intake boot is just a rubber composite, taping it up to make it air tight should be fine. I tore my boot on my R50 replacing a thermostat, used duct tape to seal it, never thought about it later.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:18 PM
gaylej
Neutral
Thank you everyone. I called MINI service Monday morning and they said it should be okay to drive. I asked them about duct taping the tear and they said that should be okay too. I bought some Fiberfix 10x stronger than duct tape for $9.00 and taped it for peace of mind until the part comes in and I can get it repaired. Luckily, this was the visual inspection so they did not do the smog test yet. The engine light was not on. I learned the hard way four years ago when the smog shop forgot to turn off the traction control and my car failed (they no longer do that test in CA and put the car on the rollers). I had to drive 100 miles to manually reset so my car would pass the next smog test. Thanks!