Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

"Driveability Recall"

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 03:47 PM
resipsamcs
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Driveability Recall"

Took my 2003 MCS in for some dash rattles and shifter buzz, no work done for the shifter buzz (claimed that problem could not be re-created), felt tape at contact points for dash (is this the standard fix? rattles seem less constant, but not eliminated), and Recall number 0012880100 "Driveability Recall" was apparently addressed, with a default code and "Reprogram DME" on the invoice. Service rep. said software was upgraded to "2005" spec. What was done - and is this a good thing? What version of software would they have installed if this is in fact what was done? The car seemed a bit smoother out of first gear, but I worry about a possible placebo effect from seeing the term "Driveability Recall" with "Reprogram" on an invoice. Any thoughts?

Old 11-03-2004, 03:51 PM
tchangmo
1st Gear
My '04 CVT was recalled because the software would allow you to leave the gas cap off without setting off any alarms (thats a CARB (California Air Resources Board) no no so MINI had to fix it). They reprogrammed the DME with v38 software and I noticed that the low speed yo yo (7-9 mph) with the CVT went away. So I'd have to say so far the new software is an improvement.

Old 11-03-2004, 03:55 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by resipsamcs
Took my 2003 MCS in for some dash rattles and shifter buzz, no work done for the shifter buzz (claimed that problem could not be re-created), felt tape at contact points for dash (is this the standard fix? rattles seem less constant, but not eliminated), and Recall number 0012880100 "Driveability Recall" was apparently addressed, with a default code and "Reprogram DME" on the invoice. Service rep. said software was upgraded to "2005" spec. What was done - and is this a good thing? What version of software would they have installed if this is in fact what was done? The car seemed a bit smoother out of first gear, but I worry about a possible placebo effect from seeing the term "Driveability Recall" with "Reprogram" on an invoice. Any thoughts?
resipsamcs --

The 2005s are running with V.39.x. Your update was most likely this version of the software. I have about 1,100 miles on a V.39.x '04 MCS and it has never run better.

You may notice a couple of things: (1) your cruise control (if you have it) should now maintain speed with a variance of +/- 1 mph and (2) there may be a white emissions recall sticker under the bonnet mounted on the unibody above the front left wheel well.

Overall, V.39.x seems to be an improvement over V.38.x.

Theo

Old 11-03-2004, 04:28 PM
tchangmo
1st Gear
Oops, my paperwork said "reprogram DME with CD 38 or newer" so my car now probably has v 39.x software in it too.

Old 11-03-2004, 04:50 PM
mini giant
4th Gear
i think i just may have to tatke my car in to upgrade to v39 from the 38 i had installed about 2 months ago :smile:

so far everyone has seemed to be vry pleased with it

Old 11-03-2004, 08:05 PM
lotsie
Banned
Mine was upgraded in July.No difference

Old 11-04-2004, 05:53 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lot15
Mine was upgraded in July.No difference
lot15 --

You were most likely updated with V.38 if it was in the July timeframe. The current MINI campaign involves the installation of V.39.x which, by all accounts, appears to be an improvement over V.38.

I had my '04 MCS updated with V.39.x about four weeks ago. I also performed a Test 21.0 Reset after I picked it up. So far I have travelled about 1,200 miles since the update.

Specific experiences I have noted with V.39.x:

Positive
- Periodic cold start issue fixed
- Rough idle fixed
- Off/On-throttle "hiccup" greatly reduced
- Further lessening of the yo-yo
- Mpg improvement from V.38 remains

Negative
- None yet <fingers crossed>

Not Known
- Status of tach lag issue

Experiences with V.38 (updated May 12, 2004):

Positive
- Yo-yo effect lessened, but still there
- Cruise control greatly improved (+/- 1 mph!)
- 2.5 mpg improvement (calculated) from 25 to 27.5

Negative
- Periodic cold start issue introduced
- Rough idle issue introduced
- Off/On-throttle hiccup introduced (all rpms)
- Tach lag issue introduced

FWIW,

Theo

Old 11-04-2004, 09:30 AM
mattcoon
3rd Gear
Thanks Koopah,

i had mine in for wind noise/whine issue (turns out to be cracked manifold gasket) and they did the v39.x update for the recall notice at the same time. As I left the dealership, I felt like they swapped my entire car out. I couldn't tell the engine was running without looking at the tach. the driveoff was smooth, there didn't seem to be as much drivetrain clunk on/off throttle. Very nice. I previously had v36 from the factory on my 04mcs.

Old 11-04-2004, 12:16 PM
seaniem
1st Gear
these posts sound like v39 is an improvement over v38.
i'm ready to give the car back over the rpm "dropkick" alone.
if this helps with the cold start, too???
i'm game.

Old 11-04-2004, 08:14 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by Koopah
lot15 --

You were most likely updated with V.38 if it was in the July timeframe. The current MINI campaign involves the installation of V.39.x which, by all accounts, appears to be an improvement over V.38.

I had my '04 MCS updated with V.39.x about four weeks ago. I also performed a Test 21.0 Reset after I picked it up. So far I have travelled about 1,200 miles since the update.

Specific experiences I have noted with V.39.x:

Positive
- Periodic cold start issue fixed
- Rough idle fixed
- Off/On-throttle "hiccup" greatly reduced
- Further lessening of the yo-yo
- Mpg improvement from V.38 remains

Negative
- None yet <fingers crossed>

Not Known
- Status of tach lag issue

Experiences with V.38 (updated May 12, 2004):

Positive
- Yo-yo effect lessened, but still there
- Cruise control greatly improved (+/- 1 mph!)
- 2.5 mpg improvement (calculated) from 25 to 27.5

Negative
- Periodic cold start issue introduced
- Rough idle issue introduced
- Off/On-throttle hiccup introduced (all rpms)
- Tach lag issue introduced

FWIW,

Theo
Thanks for the info
I have never had cold start problems,yo-yo or off/on-throttle issues.Never had rough idle,and my tach. seems fine,at least to my ear.My mpg.seemed to have leveled out about 15k miles ago.But I will phone my dealer and check what upgrade they gave me.

Old 11-05-2004, 05:47 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
lot15,

Some of the issues like the yo-yo will only be felt on the MCS since it is a result of the supercharger bypass valve oscillation as induced by faulty sensor/controller software.

I'm not sure whether the mpg (positive), hiccup, cold start, and rough idle (all negative) are confined to the MCS. However, it may be logical to assume that the cruise control stability (positive) and the tach lag (negative) may be cross-model issues.

Also note that I did not have the hiccup, cold start, rough idle and tach lag issues on my '04 MCS until I went from V.36 to V.38. Thus, if you are running on V.36 or earlier, the net (positive) effect of performing the V.39.x update for you (MC not MCS) may be:

- emissions compliance (purpose of recall)
- cruise control stability (if equipped with that option)
- slight mpg improvement

On another note, balance all this information with the old saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

FWIW,

Theo

Old 11-05-2004, 05:43 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by Koopah
lot15,

Some of the issues like the yo-yo will only be felt on the MCS since it is a result of the supercharger bypass valve oscillation as induced by faulty sensor/controller software.

I'm not sure whether the mpg (positive), hiccup, cold start, and rough idle (all negative) are confined to the MCS. However, it may be logical to assume that the cruise control stability (positive) and the tach lag (negative) may be cross-model issues.

Also note that I did not have the hiccup, cold start, rough idle and tach lag issues on my '04 MCS until I went from V.36 to V.38. Thus, if you are running on V.36 or earlier, the net (positive) effect of performing the V.39.x update for you (MC not MCS) may be:

- emissions compliance (purpose of recall)
- cruise control stability (if equipped with that option)
- slight mpg improvement

On another note, balance all this information with the old saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

FWIW,

Theo
Any info is good to know,again thanks.I know that the MC does not have some of the problems of the MCS.
I,m not sure of the mpg improvement.I have not done a calculation in months,but I hit the same milage on the trip meter,at 1/2 a tank almost dead on,twice a week.Just got snows installed last week and I do notice a slight difference,but that could be because I,m driving a bit harder with them to see how they work.Not to worried about mpg,as I get 36-40 mpg.
Forgot to phone the dealer today,but when I was in last week they did say the upgrade was for the emision issue.