Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Vinyl Stripe Adhesive Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2020 | 07:58 PM
Katgirl
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Todd Stanley
Hi All. New to these parts. Just went through the process of leasing a new 2020 Mini Cooper Hardtop S for my wife. So far the car is fantastic less one issue. Initially the cream white (Pepper White) car had black bonnet stripes on the hood. My wife preferred the look without them, so the dealer offered to remove and reassured me there would be no damage.

Alas. Upon inspecting the car in bright sunlight 24 hours later, the previously striped areas on the hood were now covered in linear, razor blade-like scratches. I contacted the dealer and I came back 48 hours later to have them "buff" the hood.

It was a cloudy winter day and on first glance the problem appeared to be remedied. However, about 48 hours later we had another sunny day. The bright overhead light made the razor blade-like scratches visible from a few feet away. Unacceptable.

I contacted and brought car back to the dealer a second time. We pulled it into the indoor bay and they reluctantly agreed they could see the scratches. They felt they won't cause long-term damage and I mostly agree. I was told on this second trip the "paint team" would look at it and attempt to buff again. My salesman looked at the hood and struggled to find what I was seeing (by this point I had already provided photos of evidence). The sales manager also came and looked and came up with a "plan".

I was then told that 1. They wouldn't buff it out again that day, 2. That in terms of the lease the scratches would cause no issues, and 3. That I should return in 2 months if the problem still persists. At this 2 month mark I was told the rest of the clear coat would show normal wear and tear, presumably blending in with the scratches I'm concerned about. I was told the cold weather (sub 32 degrees F) also "impacts the paint" and that 2 months of driving might "remedy" the problem.

I was reassured that if after that time frame they would correct the problem. Am I crazy for wanting the problem fixed and clear coat repaired? It is a brand new car and it's not like I hastily removed the bonnet stripes causing scratches, the dealer did. The 2 month waiting period seems like a sales tactic to get me off their backs as if to think I will forget about it. Needless to say I'm unhappy. I feel the problem should be corrected. Sure in 2 months the rest of the hood with "catch up with" the damage, but I still feel I will be able to notice the liner razor blade-like scratches.

So. Am I being a crazy consumer worrying about nothing? Or am I in the right, considering I should expect the dealer to step up and fix the problem?

Hood scratches where bonnet stripes were removed.

Pristine hood without scratches.
You are absolutely right. Sounds like they are hoping you will forget. Saying the scratches will blend in in a few months is ridiculous. Make sure you mark your calendar, and go back, as soon as 2 months go by.

Kat

Old 02-13-2020 | 07:59 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
They need to fix it or you want a different car. Several ways they can remedy the situation, but letting it linger will just alienate you as a customer and you can share with them how many people you are going to tell.