Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

07 r56 base model cooling fan issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 11:57 AM
hamilton8998
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 r56 base model cooling fan issue

The car belongs to my daughter and wound up in my possession because Daddy fixes everything. I'm not a professional mechanic but I repair and maintain my own stuff (cars trucks boats motorcycles I love motorcycles
The car had a nasty oil leak,coolant leak,and would over heat with a coolant temp of 220f (acording to my scan tool) with no cooling fan activation , the engine would start cold and run fine then begin to run rufff and die at idle when engine temp neared the 220f mark. I've made these repairs as needed, Oil leak..Reseal oil filter housing, Coolant leak..Crack in radiator replaced with new one. Now the real problem..Over Heating,It was determined that little to no coolint was flowing thru the system, my experence tells me there are 3 items that can cause a no flow issue so all 3 were addressed....system flushed, new water pump and thermostat housing with new
temp sensor? i think. please correct me if im wrong.BTW nothing wrong with the WP and BINGO problem solved....well kinda sorta.The car runs great everything seems to work as it should except the fan which will run with AC on but will not as needed to cool the engine.I've checked the odvious things relays,fuses.There are 2 relays and 2 wires to the fan so i assume a 2speed fan?controlled by relays? 2 seperate circuit's ? I'm out of ideas and starting to over heat my self.any input is welcom thanks in advance

Old 05-18-2018, 12:36 PM
MVPeters
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 122 Posts
From your description, I think it's the low fan-speed resistor that has failed.
It is a very common problem.
There are literally hundreds of posts on this forum.
The fix depends on year & model but usually involves splicing a new resistor into the wiring - not much dismantling involved.
You could start here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...early-r53.html

but there are lots more!