Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

need thread specs for top automatic trans plug

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 04:01 PM
09cooper
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need thread specs for top automatic trans plug

Bottom line question: What is the thread pattern and depth for the top fill plug for an 09 base model Mini Cooper automatic transmission?

Background: I'm going to be doing my second round of automatic trans fluid replacement soon. I'm doing the serial, a couple of quarts at a time process, filling it from the top as described in threads here and elsewhere. The results from the first round were very positive, taking the car from feeling like it needed a new transmission to shifting almost perfectly, after just one swap-out of around two quarts.

One downside is that the fill process is slow, and if you don't watch it, you can lose some. You have to keep the tube or funnel tightly against the hole and watch it closely. In a worst case scenario, this could screw up keeping track of how much fluid you've put back in. (And yes, I am familiar with the alternative process of buying the $200 pump kit to fill it from the bottom. I am not going that route - fill from the top worked fine for me).

So, to make the next couple of rounds go even more smoothly, I plan to weld up a custom nipple adapter concept with which to replace the top fill plug during the fill process, onto which I'll slip a piece of tubing. I just need to know the plug specs. The car is not where I am, so I can't just pull the plug and check the specs. I'll need to build the adapter here, then fly to where the car is to do the next round.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Last edited by 09cooper; 05-20-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:31 PM
drea-min
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Technique how to refill Automatic Transmission faster

i’ve done it 3 times drain and refill in 30minutes each time.
Buy the clear pump about $2.00 or so. The hard plastic tube suppose to go at the bottom but instead attach t
hat hard tube on the discharge/ outlet of the pump and insert(hard tube) into the fill hole, manuever it around until you feel the tube went in deeper arount 1 1/2 ti 2inches and hold it there, find another or cut a piece of similar hard or flex tubing to attach to the bottom of the pump and keep on pumping, the only thing you had to watch when the bottle almost empty thats when it puke over... go slow when the bottle is empty.. believe me it works.
Now installing the fill plug is a pain in the butt due to the hoses on the way. The fastest is used a magnet to drop the screw in the hole then manuever your finger to hold the screw to remove the magnet then use big flat screw driver to tighten the screw, i tried the T55 torx with a swivel socket it sucks no room , big flat screw driver is amazing save me time....

First picture when pumping oil through the fill, no bubbles.. continues flow of oil.

Last edited by drea-min; 05-20-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:38 PM
jglover
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
My two cents.

Just put an auto trans in my daughters 08 "S". I would do this change as a what I take out is what I put back in. The torx socket for a plug is a 55. I found that it was easier to fill fluid from the backside of the trans than to get to top under the thermostat housing and behind shift lever . Hope this helps

First photo: Plug behind the shift lever and thermostat housing
Sencond photo: Two plug behind the trans next to the firewall. In my opinion, easier to get to and but a funnel in.

Attached Thumbnails need thread specs for top automatic trans plug-20180520_173111.jpg   need thread specs for top automatic trans plug-20180520_173106.jpg  
Old 05-20-2018, 05:57 PM
09cooper
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drea-min: yes, my first fill was a process very similar to what you did. Thanks for the input.

glover: Thanks for the input.

Still looking for the info in the first post - need the thread pattern and length of threaded portion for the top fill plug, the T55 one. Thanks

Old 05-21-2018, 09:45 AM
mysticturner
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a 2008 MCS, build date April 2008, Asisin TF-60N tranny. If you are using the top plug, you're right, it takes a long time. But there is the correct plug. I can fill mine in about 2-3 minutes.

The plug is on the back side, probably 3/4's of the way up that is the fill port. If it has never been removed, you're going to need a lift. The factory puts it in with about a billion pounds of torque. Once you get it out the first time, it's easy after that.

I have a Harbor Freight hand pump that I've added a copper tube bent into a U shape on the output end. Once that plug is out, I hook in the pump tube, start pumping in until it overflows the stand pipe. Start it up, keep pumping in until it starts to drip from stand pipe. Done.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:55 AM
drea-min
3rd Gear
Lifetime no change in ATF is a big B.S

After i saw this how ATF breaks down and saw my car ATF temperature above 220F on a daily run in tropical climate (where i live) its makes me think that ATF needs to change at certain intervals. Synthetic Oil breaks breaks-down way at higher temperature.
Good we all come up with ideas for DYI .. keeps posting..

Last edited by drea-min; 05-21-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:03 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 432 Likes on 398 Posts
The top plug is a no-no. I cracked open my transmission and the plug connects to a small tube that runs somewhere to the bottom. here is a link to my tear down https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...l#&gid=1&pid=4

here is the link to the proper procedure:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/r...ission/4JnYJ1n

Old 05-24-2018, 10:19 AM
thefarside
4th Gear
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Life is easy if you fill from the bottom. If you want to make filling hard, use the top plug as recommended by the above posts (the top plug was not intended to be used for filling). Slightly less hard is the factory fill plug at the top rear (lack of access make this hard to use). Filling from the bottom is easy, I spill around 2 tablespoons during the process and it takes about 5 minutes.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:39 PM
drea-min
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by thefarside
Life is easy if you fill from the bottom. If you want to make filling hard, use the top plug as recommended by the above posts (the top plug was not intended to be used for filling). Slightly less hard is the factory fill plug at the top rear (lack of access make this hard to use). Filling from the bottom is easy, I spill around 2 tablespoons during the process and it takes about 5 minutes.
Can you add picture which side plug to refill. Is it by the bell housing area? Another question is the drain plug located at the bottom of bell-housing is it possible to drain Transmission oil as well? I dont want to keep unboltings things that im not sure about...

Old 06-10-2018, 09:49 PM
drea-min
3rd Gear
Automatic transmission

Can someone tell me if its possible also to drain and remove the plug in the picture.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:31 AM
thefarside
4th Gear
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
This plug drains the cavity for the ring and pinion gears. I doubt that you'll get much volume out of it. No harm in trying. If you decide to pull it, please post how much fluids drains.