Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

just another AC problem post

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 11:39 AM
dutch-brew
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just another AC problem post

So, I've been working on this 04 mini cooper S for a few weeks now.
When I bought it, i found out on the way home that the AC wasn't working.
The first thing i noticed is that the compressor clutch was not engaging. After some research on this forum i ordered the clutch, and since put it on. It works now, kicks on 5 secs or so after turning the AC on in the car.

Hooking up AC guages i noticed that the high side is reading on the high side of normal, and the low side too low with the engine running. Mildly cooler air coming out of the vents. High psi around 200, low around 20-25.

After some research i learned that the low-fan should come on before the clutch does, but it does not. I have tested the fan, by hot-wiring both the low and high speed with a jumper cable, both speeds work, so i would think the resistor is fine. When checking the relays they check out fine. I swapped the one for the compressor and for the low-fan around, since they are the same. compressor still comes on, fan will not.

When i look underneath the car, the powersteering fan never comes on, not with AC on, not when turning the wheels. I have not checked that fan with a jumper wire yet, but hope to soon. I don't think the powersteering recall has been done on it yet, if it applies.

I've checked all the fuses (i think, i can post all the ones later if needed) both the ones by the drivers feet, and the ones under the hood. All look fine to me.

What else could keep my fan from turning on? is there a switch?
I think i may have a restriction in the AC circuit maybe somewhere as well, since the PSI are not within range, but think i'll need to take care of my fan issue first, then tackle that one.

As a side note, i don't know anything about what the previous owner did, and if he put any extra oil/sealers/etc in the system. I'm tempted to get it sucked out, and then fill it back myself correctly.
Seems like the mini just really was neglected, i pulled the cabin filter yesterday to inspect it, and there was a bunch of dust/dirt/grime, but on both sides of the filter. Even leaves on top part(evap side?) of the filter. Wonder if i can/need to clean up in there, and how..

Hope anyone can steer me in the right direction so i can keep moving forward on this project and make this a great car for her.
Thanks

04 mini cooper S
100,000 mi

Old 05-28-2018, 10:05 AM
dutch-brew
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've found this schematic for a 06 model, does anyone know if it is the same for the 04 by any chance? I'd assume dual stage would mean it;s for the high and low speed.

I will still need to get the Bentley manual i think, and also a scan tool.

Any suggestions are welcome, it's getting too hot here to teach her how to drive without AC.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:22 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Item # 15 in the below thread will take you where all the wire schematics are and I am thinking that the change was from 03 to 04 relative to how things were wired up. Next you are aware that there are fuses on the bottom of the engine area fuse box that you can only get to by removing the ECU so that you can turn the fuse box over? Fuses are also discussed in the below thread.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...questions.html