Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

1st time poster having issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 02:19 PM
TerribleTrivium
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st time poster having issues

Supercharger looks to have oil coming out ☹️

Hello, this is my first time posting so please be lenient as this has been covered before i’m sure. I have owned a 2005 pepper white cooper s for about a year now and it has been great. I absolutely love this car. However, while driving home from work my battery light came on and I assumed the alternator was dead. I swapped the alternator and found a crack in the outer case of the old one. When I fired the car back up all dash lights came on and the expansion tank overflowed as the car overheated. From lurking on here I have deduced that the crank pulley is the possible culprit and so is the supercharger. My question is, how do I figure out which one is to blame?

Old 05-26-2018, 04:45 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
If you are overheating then there are chances that your water pump is either not working correctly (anything over 70,000 may be considered borrowed time) or the pump is not spinning that can be from a slipping belt.

On the crank pulley, you can try removing the tension from the belt and then see if you are able to push the pulley so that it contacts the engine, or, if there is allot of rubber on the engine. The pulley core is rubber and at pushing 13 years the rubber may be shot.

You might want to post a similar post over on Motoring Alliance. They are another MINI forum that we are working with in an effort to help any MINI owners out there. If you do, mention that we sent you over.

www.motoringalliance.com.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:47 PM
TerribleTrivium
Neutral
The belt that is on it is a brand new oem belt and the tensioner was also replaced at 90,000 (the car is at 94,000 right now) I can pull the belt again and check the crank pulley for play. I just don’t want to waste money chasing the problem where it isn’t. The car had no issues with overheating before the alternator was swapped. Would the supercharger still make boost if the gears were stripped? If so am I just going to have to man up and pull the water pump and supercharger to see?

Old 05-30-2018, 01:03 PM
TerribleTrivium
Neutral
I pulled the belt again and fussed around with the crank pulley and I can get a slight motion out of the inner part as in it moves back and forth slightly.is it safe then to say the crank pulley is suspect?if so i’ve had it in my plans to run an anti super damper when this one goes.