Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

r53 tick

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 09:25 PM
F56_Rebel
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
r53 rattle

Evening NAM fam,

Hoping I can get some feedback to ease my nerves.

I recently purchased an 04 msc with about 78k miles on it. Wasn’t in the market for a DD but the deal was too good to pass on. Besides minor cosmetic details, particularly in the interior, car feels solid. It doesn’t have AC currently, but I’m hoping it’s from a bad coil. Carfax shows a decent history of oil changes throughout the course of its life. Before I comfirmed to the purchase, I made sure all it’s fluids were in order. Oil levels were good, cap could’ve been cleaner but wasn’t grimy. I don’t want to get carried away spending money on upgrading (lights, new steering wheel, pair of front r56 seats) before I know the engine is strong. I’ve been driving it no more than 5 miles a day until I get AC In it. I noticed a rattled one day after a (spirited) drive. I can’t pinpoint where to be exact. I immediately feared the worst then started reading all the potential faults it can be. I just changed the timing chain tensioner as that was my first guess too. The rattle goes with rhythm of the engine revs but either diminishes or the engine noise drowns it out. Open to all feedback, even the bad. Don’t want to continue losing sleep trying to figure out if this is a ticking time bomb. Let me know your thoughts form the video link below.

Much appreciated!

Last edited by F56_Rebel; 06-19-2018 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Title edit
Old 06-19-2018, 04:56 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Welcome to NAM.

Going to move this to the Gen1 Stock Problems/Issues section. My ears are not the best but with those miles would lean more toward the belt tensioner, idler or crank pulleys.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:02 AM
Fastlane
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Does the sound go away when you depress the clutch pedal? If so, it’s likely the clutch or the throw out bearing rattling.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:43 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
My ears must be old as well. Are you revving the engine, or is it at idle, can't hear the rattling you're talking about. I do hear a low grumble, which kinda sounds like a throw-out bearing.My engine makes more noise than that at 142K, just came back from 600+ mile round trip to the beach, Lets just say I did it in under 4 hours Red
cars go faster....Your Title says 'TICK" are you talking about the tick.tick,tick sound? that's the fuel injectors.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:22 AM
F56_Rebel
1st Gear
Ha... I think I’m just paranoid and you’re right, it’s hard to determine the tick from my clip. This is my second r53, I’ve had an r56 and my most recent, my daily f56 JCW. I forgot the tune of the r53, compared to other YouTube videos of knocks and ticks, mine is subtle. I’ve only noticed the noise at idle and simultaneously with the rev.

I’ll test the clutch theory when I get home later today. I really hope it’s not that but I guess I rather a bad clutch than a bad block.

Thanks for the feedback, keep them coming!

Last edited by F56_Rebel; 06-19-2018 at 06:29 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:31 AM
Fastlane
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by F56_Rebel
Ha... I think I’m just paranoid and you’re right, it’s hard to determine the tick from my clip. This is my second r53, I’ve had an r56 and my most recent, my daily f56 JCW. I forgot the tune of the r53, compared to other YouTube videos of knocks and ticks, mine is subtle. I’ve only noticed the noise at idle and simultaneously with the rev.

I’ll test the clutch theory when I get home later today. I really hope it’s not that but I guess I rather a bad clutch than a bad block.

Thanks for the feedback, keep them coming!

FWIW, a lot of R53 owners seem to have ongoing clutch rattling (for literally years and thousands of miles). I wouldn’t get too concerned over it and automatically assume that your clutch is going out (yet). I think the throw out bearings just tend to be noisy on these cars sometimes. Mine car with 96k miles rattles just like this. The clutch still feels strong.... although I’m sure it’s closer to the end of its life with close to 100k miles.

Also, the rattle on mine is more pronounced if I press the clutch and release it fast....whereas if I let the clutch up slowly, it is less likely to start rattling.

Let us know what you find out.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:53 AM
downshift1
4th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Take a good look at the belt tensioner also, they will rattle once the shock starts to wear out.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:58 PM
F56_Rebel
1st Gear
Finally got the chance to check on this, you guys nailed it... noise faded as soon as I pushed down on the clutch. I’m relieved in a sense, glad it wasn’t rodknock. Don’t see myself fixing it for the time being. I’ve been watching modmini’s YouTube vids, replacing the clutch is not for the faint of heart.

Thanks again for all the help!

Thinking I’ll start a build thread soon. This guy has potential, just needs some TLC.